|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Angels Sanguine were created during the Second Founding and were composed of those Blood Angels that were considered the most glorious and faithful to the image of their Primarch Sanguinius. Before the Angels Sanguine were sent to forge their own history, the Sanguinary Priests of the new Successor Chapters were gathered and presented with the Red Grail of the Blood Angels. Within the Red Grail was what remained of the blood of their Primarch and the newly anointed Sanguinary Priests were required to drink from it; thus the blood and vitality of Sanguinius would be preserved in the bodies of his children in these successor Chapters.
The Angels Sanguine never remove their masks in the presence of anyone outside their Chapter. Even amongst their battle-brothers, their faces are usually hooded. What drives the Chapter's Battle-Brothers to shield their faces from the gaze of others, never removing their helms save for in the privacy of their fortress monastery? And what is the secret of the catacombs that lie beneath the Chapter's home?
It is said that beneath the gleaming masks of the Angels Sanguine is a will of iron; but the truth is somewhat darker. Their terrible secret is known only to a few souls outside the Chapter, but despite this they have a long and glorious history.
A flaw in the Angels Sanguine's Gene-seed requires them to have Aspirants, with a genetic make-up compatible with the people of the Blood Angels' Homeworld of Baal. The Gene-seed deviancy of the Angels Sanguine give its battle-brothers unusually ruddy skin and coarse angelic features.
Members who enter the Black Rage are strapped to the Tablet of Lestrallio, in the Angels Sanguine's Fortress Monastery. Those who regain their senses are presented with the Shroud of Lemartes, as a symbol of their mastery of the Black Rage.
Notable Battles and Campaigns
- 261.M33 - The War of Broken Wings. The Chapter's own homeworld is assaulted by the Night Lords.[8b]
- 864.M41 - The Vandred Atrocity
- 999.M41 - Thirteenth Black Crusade The Angels Sanguine fielded 7 companies against Chaos forces in this campaign.
- ???.M42 - The Red Scar Campaign
- Undated - Supported the Blood Angels on Baal during the recent conclave meeting of the Sanguinius bloodline, called by Chapter Master Dante to discuss the fate of the Founding Chapter, and assisted in the defence of the remains of the Primarch himself.
- Undated - Deployed with Task Force Iscon.
Notable Angels Sanguine
- Librarian Ashok - Member of The Deathwatch attached to Captain Quiron Octavius's Kill Team
- Reontrek - Was the Chaplain of the Angels Sanguine Chapter's First Company, who led a detachment of its Death Company into the catacombs of Hegelian IX.
- Chapter Master Sentikan - Master of the Angels Sanguine
- Servius - Was an Apothecary in the Blood Angels Legion during the Horus Heresy and later became the first Sanguinary High Priest of the Angels Sanguine Chapter during the Second Founding.
- Iscon - Captain that slays in duel Eldar Corsair Prince Nhilus the Ardent in 721.M41 and due to that he became a legend of the Angels Sanguine
- Bolthus - Captain. Took part in the Devastation of Baal in M42.
Artefacts and Relics
|Artefacts and Relics|
|Grail of Angels||Blood Chalice|||
|The Mask of the Watcher||Death Mask|||
|Shroud of Servius||Holy Garment|||
|Shroud of Lemartes||Garment|||
|Tablet of Lestrallio||Black Rage restraint|||
- 1: Codex: Eye of Terror, p. 16
- 2: Codex: Angels of Death (2nd Edition), p. 34
- 3: Codex: Blood Angels (5th Edition): pp. 54 & 80
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, p. 47
- 5: Warrior Brood (Novel) by C.S. Goto, Chapter 3
- 6: Red Fury (Novel) - Blood Angels: The Second Omnibus, Chapter Seven, p. 115
- 7: Deathwatch: Honour the Chapter, p. 129
- 8: Index Astartes: Death Company
- 9: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 82
- 10: Codex: Blood Angels (7th Edition), (E-Book), Successor Chapters - Angels Sanguine
- 11: Codex: Dark Eldar (7th Edition), (E-Book) - The Three Ages of the Dark City
- 12: The Blood of Angels (Short Story) by C.S. Goto
- 13: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 20
- 14: The Devastation of Baal (Novel), Chapter 12