The Angels Vermillion are a Successor Chapter of the Blood Angels. While most successors of the Blood Angels maintain close ties with one another and their parent Chapter, the Angels Vermillion have resolved to bear their curse alone.[6a]
|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Angels Vermillion shun all contact with their brother and parent Chapters, and bear their curse in solitude. While Imperial Records of the Chapter's exploits since the Second Founding have been nothing short of exemplary, one wonders about the cause of their self-imposed exile from their brethren, and whether it is simply a shame that must be endured alone, or something darker.[4b]
The Sorrowing is a secret and dark ritual of the Angels Vermillion, passed down through many generations. Conducted every 50 years, during The Sorrowing the Angels Vermillion drain the blood of a portion of the population of Corinal. The Angels Vermillion then bathe in the blood before spilling their own by sacrificing a Sanguinary Priest. The blood is then made into a mixture that is used to nourish the Angels Vermillion in war. The Chapter sees it as a horrible burden placed upon their own soul which keeps the Black Rage at bay.
The 9th Chapter of the Blood Angels Legion was known as the Angels Vermillion. Elements of the Chapter participated in the Scouring of the Nostramo Sector, led by Praetor Kaelon until his death at Sothis in 017.M31 and thereafter by Praetor Sargan Varsaris. They discovered the crashed Shroud of Eventide, vessel of the Captain Ophion of the Night Lords on Kalleth, salvaging it and renaming it the Crimson Intent in 020.M31 in preparation for the coming edict of the Second Founding.
The Angels Vermillion have earned numerous honours in the service of the Imperium, but are rarely seen fighting in the same war zone as the Blood Angels, or any of their parent Chapter's other successors.[6a]
As Angels Vermillion Chapter
- 7252.777.M41 Achilus Crusade (1 company)
- 992.M41 Battle of Hollonan - answering Mephiston's call for aid as a tendril of Hive Fleet Kraken descended upon the world.[4a]
- Pre-998.M41 - the Order of the Argent Shroud attacks the Chapter's forward bases under the leadership of Canoness Dissenta.
- ~M42 Devastation of Baal - several companies disobey order from the Chapter Master to aid the Blood Angels Chapter.
- Kaelon - Praetor until 017.M31. Died during the Scouring of the Nostramo Sector.
- Sargan Varsaris - Praetor in 017.M31.
As Angels Vermillion Chapter:
- Kuldoth Moar - Chapter Master
- Chauld - Chapter Master in 428.M41. He revealed the secret of The Sorrowing to Chaplain Hereon of the Blood Angels, causing the Angels Vermillion to become shunned by Dante.
- Fen - Captain, led several companies during the Devastation of Baal in defiance of the Chapter Master's orders
- Malthaen - Captain, followed Fen during the Devastation of Baal in defiance of the Chapter Master's orders.
- Surrufus - Veteran Assault Sergeant
- Scipio - killed on vigil with the Deathwatch[6b]
- Surrufus - Rhino of the Assault Space Marine Squad. Named in honour of Veteran Sergeant of this squad.
In How to Paint Space Marines, however, the chapter is depicted in the scheme used by the Angels Encarmine: vermillion coloured armour with a yellow chest eagle, black shoulder pad trims and backpack.
- 1: Codex: Angels of Death (2nd Edition)[Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Blood Angels (3rd Edition)[Needs Citation]
- 3: Web archive of the Armageddon3 website - Details of the Third War for Armageddon Worldwide (Saved archive page, dated 24 Sep 2005, last accessed 13 July 2015)
- 4: Codex: Blood Angels (5th Edition)
- 5: Deathwatch Core Rulebook, pg. 339
- 6: Deathwatch: Honour the Chapter
- 7: How to Paint Space Marines, pgs. 77 and 82
- 8: Codex: Blood Angels (7th Edition), (E-Book), Successor Chapters - Angels Vermillion
- 9: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, pg. 19
- 10: The Horus Heresy Book Six - Retribution, pgs. 130-139
- 11: Eminence Sanguis (Short Story)
- 12: The Devastation of Baal (Novel), Chapter 12