The Black Consuls were a Successor Chapter of the Ultramarines Legion, and are one of the 20 Astartes Praeses chapters. They were created in the Second Founding but destroyed in the 41st Millenium.[4a]
|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Black Consuls are a Primogenitor Chapter which three and half centuries ago mysteriously vanished from the history of the Imperium. The account for their disappearance has yet to be made, but the White Consuls suspect that the Chapter was assaulted by a Word Bearers Traitor Legion force.
Before their disappearance Black Consuls Battle brothers always stood defiant to the enemies of the Emperor. They used to make regular pilgrimages to the Shrine of the Primarch on Macragge and also had several past Chapter Masters being some of the most valued counsellors of the Master of Macragge.
While the main force was destroyed, as accounts suggest, many space marines still survive because they were on other special duties like, working for a composite Space Marine force attached to a larger Imperial crusade, officers in consular duties or planning for large scale strategy with other chapters, undertaking duty in the Deathwatch or on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Primarch on Macragge. Those space marines have the choice, depending on existing resources, of trying to restore their chapter or decide to serve the Imperium as long as they can in organizations like the Deathwatch.
Sometimes Black Consuls marines in the Cellebos Warzone may hear claims of a group of Word Bearers that participated in the destruction of the Black Consul chapter, which vows to attempt to capture one to extract the truth, if such opportunity arises without breaking his oaths.
While they have yet to learn the truth of it, many Battle-Brothers of the Black Consuls are resigned to the fact that they may be the very last of their Chapter. Such warriors will fight to the death, determined that the history of their chapter ends in glory.
Notable battles and campaigns
- M38. The Black Consuls fought on Baliaris Majoris against the worldwide uprising of a cult; in the end they burned the heretic prophetess Constanze.
- 455.M41. They were recorded as annihilated at the Siege of Goddeth Hive. Their current status is unknown. Although according to chapter master Xydias of the White Consuls, the Black Consuls were wiped out, and a Word Bearers Infernus-class battleship was present during their destruction.
- Achilus Crusade - The Black Consuls had a small force in the Jericho Reach since the launching of the crusade. When they found out of the main force disappearance, they held a council that decided they would continue to fight in the crusade until a space marine messenger they sent returned. Two and half centuries later and this messenger has yet to return.
- 1: Insignium Astartes, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Dark Creed (Novel): [Needs Citation], p. 79.
- 4: Architect of Fate (Anthology):
- 5: Deathwatch: Rites of Battle, p. 57