Blanks, also known as untouchables, pariahs and psychic nulls, are an exceedingly rare type of human mutant that possesses no presence in the Warp. In fact, their brains actively blot it out, which renders disrupts psychic phenomena in their vicinity and renders them immune to psychic powers. Only humanity naturally produces blanks, though blanks have appeared in other races, such as the Eldar Solitaires.
The minds of most sentient beings have a connection to the Warp. This Warp signature is commonly called the soul. Psykers have especially strong connections to the Warp, and thus have very bright souls. On the other hand, blanks have no connection to the Warp whatsoever. On the contrary, their brains somehow push the Warp away from realspace.
The effect of this is that a blank dampens any psychic or Warp-related powers occurring within his aura's area of influence. A psyker standing in the area will find his powers weakened if no completely nullified. The blank himself is immune to all direct psychic effects (a psyker could attack a blank indirectly by, say, telekinetically throwing a boulder at him from a distance). They are completely immune to daemonic possession and corruption by Chaos. They cannot be detected by most psychic means.
To any being with a soul, the presence of a blank provokes irrational feelings of unease and hostility. These feelings may be mild in regular people, but in psykers they are unbearably strong. Blanks have a difficult time getting along with people, so they tend to lead short, unhappy lives, often on the fringes of society.
The minions of Chaos see blanks as anathema to their very existence.
The Culexus Temple recruits blanks and trains them to be assassins specialized in hunting psykers. They are fitted with special equipment that enhances their powers.
The Inquisition makes eager use of blanks, as they are the most potent kind of anti-psyker tool there is. They is very useful in the fight against witches and daemons. The blank is typically made to follow his master around like a tourist, protecting his master from witchcraft and sorcery with his mere proximity.
The Eldar view human blanks as abominations to be slain at every opportunity. Interestingly, the Eldar have blanks of their own, known as the Solitaires. These Eldar have lost their souls through unspecified means. They lead solitary lives away from their Craftworld kin, but are known to associate with the Harlequins.
- Dorian Black - Veteran Sergeant of the Cadian Shock Troops, then recruited to Eisenhorn's warrior band
- Jeremiah - Follower of Daemonhuntress Ivixia Dannica of the Ordo Malleus
- Alizebeth Bequin - Leader of the Distaff, associate of Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn of the Ordo Xenos
- Wystan Frauka - Associate of Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor
- Ferik Jurgen - Aide of Ciaphas Cain, who served in the 597th Vahallan regiment along with several other Imperial Guard regiments.
- Inquisitor Annual 2004
- Malleus (Novel)
- Hereticus (Novel)
- Ravenor (Novel)
- Ravenor Returned (Novel)
- Ravenor Rogue (Novel)
- For The Emperor (Novel) by Sandy Mitchell,
- Caves of Ice (Novel) by Sandy Mitchell,
- The Traitor's Hand (Novel) by Sandy Mitchell,
- Death or Glory (Novel) by Sandy Mitchell,
- Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium by Sandy Mitchell