Blanks, also known as untouchables, pariahs and psychic nulls[1a], are an exceedingly rare type of human mutant that possesses no presence in the Warp. In fact, their brains actively blot it out, which disrupts psychic phenomena in their vicinity and renders them immune to psychic powers. Only humanity naturally produces blanks, though blanks have appeared in other races, such as the Eldar Solitaires.
The minds of most sentient beings have a connection to the Warp. This Warp signature is commonly called the soul. Psykers have especially strong connections to the Warp, and thus have very bright souls. On the other hand, blanks have no connection to the Warp whatsoever. On the contrary, their brains somehow push the Warp away from realspace.[Needs Citation]
The effect of this is that a blank dampens any psychic or Warp-related powers occurring within his aura's area of influence. A psyker standing in the area will find his powers weakened if no completely nullified. The blank himself is immune to all direct psychic effects (although a psyker could attack a blank indirectly by, say, telekinetically throwing a boulder at him from a distance). They are completely immune to daemonic possession and corruption by Chaos. They cannot be detected by most psychic means. Blanks are also found to affect the Hive Mind communication between Tyranid organisms, such as genestealers, though to a much lesser degree than they affect warp entities such as daemons.[Needs Citation]
To any being with a soul, the presence of a blank provokes irrational feelings of unease and hostility. These feelings may be mild in regular people, but in psykers they are unbearably strong. Blanks have a difficult time getting along with people, so they tend to lead short, unhappy lives, often on the fringes of society.[1a]
Sisters of Silence
The Sisters of Silence were the military arm of the Astra Telepathica during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. The Sisters were unique in that they were a military force consisting entirely of blanks. Their current status as of M41 is unknown.
The Culexus Temple recruits blanks and trains them to be assassins specialized in hunting psykers. They are fitted with special equipment that enhances their powers.
The Inquisition makes eager use of blanks, as they are the most potent kind of anti-psyker tool there is. They are very useful in the fight against witches and daemons. The blank is typically made to follow his master around like a tourist, protecting his master from witchcraft and sorcery with his mere proximity.[Needs Citation]
The Eldar view human blanks as abominations to be slain at every opportunity. Interestingly, the Eldar have blanks of their own, known as the Solitaires. These Eldar have lost their souls through unspecified means. They lead solitary lives away from their Craftworld kin, but are known to associate with the Harlequins.
Notable Pariahs & Blanks
- Dorian Black - Veteran Sergeant of the Cadian Shock Troops, then recruited to Eisenhorn's warrior band[Needs Citation]
- Jeremiah - Follower of Daemonhuntress Ivixia Dannica of the Ordo Malleus[Needs Citation]
- Iota - Culexus Assassin
- Alizebeth Bequin - Leader of the Distaff, associate of Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn of the Ordo Xenos[1a]
- Wystan Frauka - Associate of Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor[Needs Citation]
- Ferik Jurgen - Aide of Ciaphas Cain, who served in the 597th Vahallan regiment along with several other Imperial Guard regiments.
- Jenetta Krole - Commander of the Sisters of Silence
- Celia Harroda - Member of the Sisters of Silence
- 1: Xenos (Novel) - Eisenhorn (Omnibus) by Dan Abnett
- 1a: Chapter Five, pg. 61
- 2: For the Emperor (Novel) - Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (Omnibus), Epilogue, pg. 269
- Inquisitor Annual 2004
- Malleus (Novel)
- Hereticus (Novel)
- Ravenor (Novel)
- Ravenor Returned (Novel)
- Ravenor Rogue (Novel)
- Nemesis (Novel) by James Swallow