The Cadian 8th is a Cadian Shock Troopers Regiment, known as the Lord Castellan's Own, since their former Colonel, Ursarkar E. Creed, is now Lord Castellan and Supreme Commander of Cadia's military.
The Cadian 8th numbers around 8,000 men, or roughly 24 companies, and at least during the 13th Black Crusade contained a number of Leman Russ Battle Tanks. The companies of the 8th are in high demand with other Cadian divisions, with the regiment rarely serving together as a cohesive whole. It is often split into smaller sized elements.[Needs Citation]
At any given time at least two full companies are training on Prosan; two more companies are permanently garrisoned on Kasr Sonnen and Kasr Holn. Many others are split up between providing an honour guard for Cadia's highest ranking military elite, or seconded to the retinues of various Inquisitors. Their officers too are in high demand, attached to training cadres to ensure that newly raised Cadian regiments meet the exacting standards required by the Cadian military.
The low number of the Cadian 8th suggests it was founded thousands of years ago, perhaps in the very earliest days of the Imperium. Destroyed numerous times since then, the 8th has always been re-founded, continuing an almost unbroken record of service. The earliest reference to the deeds of the 8th is in M38 when they fought in the Vrakesworld Campaign.
It was during the 13th Black Crusade that the 8th was renamed The Lord Castellan's Own after their former Colonel Ursarkar E. Creed, now Lord Castellan of Cadia. Creed had steadily risen in the ranks of the 8th throughout his career. Starting as a young Lieutenant during the Drussite Crusade, he had risen to the rank of Lord General by the time he crushed an Ulthwé raid in 992.M41. With the destruction of much of Cadia's high command by the treacherous Volscani Cataphracts at the Battle of Tyrok Fields Creed was finally appointed to Cadia's highest military position.
The 8th fought all throughout the 13th Black Crusade. While Creed may have been promoted far above a normal regimental commander, he still acts as Colonel-in-Chief of the 8th, occasionally leading them to battle, as the Cadian Shock Regiments attempt to purge the taint of Chaos from their beloved homeworld.
Important Battles and Events
- M38 - Vrakesworld Campaign
- Gerreck Heresy M40
- 975.M41 - The Drussite Crusade
- 983.M41 - The Hrud Migration
- 999.M41 - During the 13th Black Crusade the regiment fought in several key engagements on the Fortress World of Cadia. The most famous of which is the Battle of Tyrok Fields.
- Ursarkar E. Creed - Commander 8th Cadian
- Jarran Kell - Regimental Standard Bearer, 8th Cadian
- Kayrn Sylkwood - former enginseer of the 8th now membre of the Renard rogue Trader vessel
- 1: Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 1st Codex), [Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex)
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume One - Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy, pg. 19
- 4: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition)