Cardinals are the highest-ranking officials within the Ecclesiarchy, after the Ecclesiarch himself. They are members of the Frateris clergy and form a group known as the Holy Synod, which elects the Ecclesiarch, the head of the entire Ecclesiarchy, from their own number. Most Cardinals lead a diocese. Although each Cardinal's diocese is outside another's jurisdiction, some rank higher than others, as they are divided into three orders. There are some several thousand Cardinals.
The Cardinals Astral have dioceses on other Imperial worlds. Those in the Ophelia VII area are known as the Astral Ministra or Synod Ministra, while those in other regions are categorised as simply the Astral.
- 1: Codex: Sisters of Battle (2nd Edition), pg. 34
- 2: Warhammer 40,000 3rd Edition Rulebook by Rick Priestley (1998), pg. 102
- 3: Codex Imperialis, [Needs Citation]
- 4: Dark Heresy: Blood of Martyrs, pg. 16
- Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned, The Imperial Cult