|Ranged: Projectile - Missile - Ordnance - Laser - Plasma - Melta - Auto - Bolt - Flame - Gauss - Sonic||Close Combat: Chain - Power - Force - Miscellaneous|
Chain Weapons are close combat weapons which utilize a cutting chain mechanism (similar in principle to a chainsaw) along the length of the striking edge. They are most effective in assaults against lightly armoured targets and are generally used in wide sweeping attacks to make full use of momentum for maximum impact and cutting strength. Several armies make use of Chain Weapons, including the Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Orks, Chaos Space Marines and Eldar.
Occasionally they are used as an attachment to another weapon; a small chainblade can sometimes be used as a form of bayonet attached to a ranged weapon to aid in close combat.
Types of Chain Weapon
- Chainaxe: A heavy close combat weapon that utilizes a cutting chain mechanism, used frequently by Chaos Space Marines, and others;
- Chainfist: a Power Fist with a built-in chain-blade extension for hacking through walls and fortifications; it is used primarily by Space Marine Terminators
- Chainblade: A bayonet attachment to Bolters
- Chainsword: A standard close combat weapon that utilizes a cutting chain mechanism which runs up the length of the blade.1,2
- Biting Blade: A large chainsword used by Eldar Exarchs2.
- Eviscerator: A large, two-handed, chainsword, with damage potential similar to a chainfist; frequently wielded by Ministorum Priests attached to the Imperial Guard;
- Frost Blade: A type of chainsword used by the Space Wolves chapter, many of which incorporate diamond-hard Ice Kraken fangs as chainblade teeth;
- Scorpion Chainsword: Functions similarly to a standard chainsword, but augments the wielder's strength; used by the Eldar Striking Scorpion Aspect and some Autarchs.
- Chain Halberd: A long pole with a Chain Blade attached to its tip.