Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 1st Codex)
- Note: The Third Edition of Warhammer 40,000 had two different Imperial Guard Codexes. A revised Codex was released in 2003.
|Author(s)||Jervis Johnson, Gavin Thorpe|
|Cover Artist||David Gallagher|
|Illustrator(s)||Alexander Boyd, David Gallagher, Peter Gosling, Neil Hodgson, Karl Kopinski, John Wigley|
|Preceded by||Codex: Imperial Guard (2nd Edition)|
|Followed by||Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex)|
The General Structure
The Codex: Imperial Guard is an expansion book for the Games Workshop Table Top game Warhammer 40,000. This book was published for the first time in 1999, and is for the 3rd edition of Warhammer 40,000.
This was the second codex the Imperial Guard received and had a general army list which could be tailored through using fluff and background information. It included a large number of tanks and vehicles, most of which were dropped in the later 4th edition codex. It also had a much reduced number of Special Characters, removing for example, Al'rahem of the Tallarn Desert Raiders.
The book has 49 pages and the cover is printed in colour while the majority of the book remains in black and white, although there are several pages of colour images of miniatures.
This book contains a complete army list for using a Imperial Guard army. Further special rules and equipment is included.
This book contains background information and fiction on:
- Imperial Guard Regiments
- Allegance speech by one Lord Quandros Sylman
- Information on the Schola Progenium and Commissars
- A letter home
- The Mortant VII 'Headhunters'
- Carnage at Fortress Carcasson: The 8th Cadian devastates Hive Fleet Scarabus
- The Lexxian IX 'Sawtooths'
- The Jumael I 'Lucky Aces'
- Imperial Guard Regiments
- Tank designs
- Tables of Organisation and Equipment
- The Xenthorp Garrisons
- De Gloria Macharius
Special character models
- Collecting and Modelling an Imperial Guard Army
- Expanding your army
- Imperial Guard Tactics
- Imperial Guard Uniforms
- Organisation and Markings
- Painting Infantry
- Painting Tanks and Vehicles
- Personalising your Army
- Codex, a general overview of all Codex publications.
|Rulebook||Warhammer 40,000 4th Edition Rulebook|
|Codices||Space Marines • Blood Angels • Dark Angels • Space Wolves • Chaos Space Marines (1st) • Chaos Space Marines (2nd) • Imperial Guard (1st) • Imperial Guard (2nd) • Catachans • Orks • Assassins • Tyranids • Eldar • Craftworld Eldar • Dark Eldar • Witch Hunters • Daemonhunters • Tau • Necrons|
|Campaigns & Supplements||Armageddon • Eye of Terror • Cityfight • Index Astartes • Chapter Approved (2001 • 2003 • 2004)|
|Starter Sets||Warhammer 40,000 3rd Edition Box Set|