Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex)
- Note: The Third Edition of Warhammer 40,000 had two different Imperial Guard Codexes. The first Codex was released in 1999.
|Author(s)||Andy Chambers, Pete Haines, Andy Hoare, Phil Kelly, Graham McNeill|
|Cover Artist||Karl Kopinski|
|Illustrator(s)||Alex Boyd, Paul Dainton, Des Hanley, Nuala Kinrade, Karl Kopinski, Adrian Smith, John Wigley|
|Preceded by||Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 1st Codex)|
|Followed by||Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition)|
The General Structure and Overview
The Codex: Imperial Guard is an expansion book for the Games Workshop Table Top game Warhammer 40,000. This book was published for the first time in 2003, and was developed for the 3rd edition of Warhammer 40,000.
This was the 3rd codex the Imperial Guard army received, and focused largely on the Cadian Shock Troops regiment, introducing a number of units as standard, including Conscript Infantry Platoons, which had previously only been available to the Cadians. The codex also saw the resurrection of several unit types that had been dropped from the previous codex, as an attempt to get closer to the original imagery of the army in the game; such units included Techpriest Enginseers, Priests and Sanctioned Psykers.
It also featured a much more complex structure for including units in an army than its predecessor, having platoons consisting of a number of squads, where other armies would only have a single unit.
The book has 64 pages and the cover is printed in color while the majority of the book remains in black and white, although there are usually several pages of colour images of miniatures.
This book contains a complete army list for using a Imperial Guard army. Further special rules, equipment as well as a Doctrine System are included.
This book contains background information and fiction on:
- An extract from First and Only, by Dan Abnett
- Origins and History of the Imperial Guard
- Organisation of the Imperial Guard
- The Cadian 8th - 'The Lord Castellan's Own'
- The Battle of Tyrok Fields
- Arms and Equipment of the Cadian 8th
- Imperial Guard Terms
- The Third War for Armaggedon
Special character models
This book contains background and special character rules for:
- Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed and Colour Sergeant Jarran Kell
- Commissar Yarrick
- Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt
- Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers
This book contains information on:
- Collecting an Imperial Guard Army
- Description of Imperial Guard Units
- Painting tips for tanks
- Colour schemes for Officers, Regiments of the Imperial Guard and Regiments of Cadian Shock Troops
- Painting tips for the Cadian 8th regiment