The XV8 Crisis Battlesuit is an advanced piece of Tau technology. These Battlesuits are issued to veteran Shas'ui Fire Warriors in order to provide the Tau military with a highly-mobile weapons platform.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Sept Armament Variations
- 3 Ordo Xenos Classification
- 4 Variants
- 4.1 XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit
- 4.2 XV8 'Agile' Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.3 XV8 'Armored' Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.4 XV8 'Command' Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.5 XV8 'Light' Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.6 XV8-05 Enforcer Battlesuit
- 4.7 XV81 Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.8 XV84 Crisis Battlesuit
- 4.9 XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
- 4.10 XV89 Crisis Battlesuit
- 5 Sources
The XV8 is the standard-issue suit used by the Fire Caste, though other variants exist, the most common being the Broadside Battlesuit. The Crisis suit is packed with advanced technology, including a jetpack, recoil absorbers and targeting sensors. Information gathered from the Crisis' sensor suite can be transmitted to command units, providing them with updated battlefield intelligence. A nanocrystaline alloy armour is used, giving the suit superior protection while keeping weight at a minimum. Although the armour provides superior protection against most small arms, it is no defence against heavier weapons such assault cannons and lascannons which penetrate right through.
XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team
The XV8 Bodyguard Team consists of more experienced warriors known as Saz'nami, or literally Close Protection Officers. Only Fire Warriors with impeccable records are chosen for this rare duty. It is their duty to protect Tau Commanders at all costs and even take incoming shots for their leader. Tau lore is rife of the heroic performances of XV8 bodyguards, and it is considered a disgrace for a Close Protection Officer to survive while his Commander is slain. Any who have suffered such an indignity often spend the rest of their remaining life in atonement. XV8 Bodyguard teams draw upon the latest Battlesuit wargear, and prototype weapons are treated as standard issue.
Sept Armament Variations
Each Sept has a different way of fielding battlesuits, although they all have the common goal of destroying the enemy utterly. They work either in teams of three or singularly, known respectively as Ta'ro'cha and Monat. Some of these are:
Vior'la - Ta'ro'cha and Monat
- Death Rain Configuration
- Sun Forge Configuration
- Burning Eye Configuration
- Monat Configuration
Sa'cea - Ta'ro'cha
- Ke'lshan'tsua'm'padroch'ul'syn (theatre of war – force commander – cadre commander – team leader)
Tau'n - Ta'ro'cha and Monat
- Brightwind Configuration
- Darkfall Configuration
- Shas'vre and 2 Shas'ui.
- The Shas'vre has twin-linked Missile Pods, a Drone Controller with 2 Gun Drones and a hard-wired Blacksun Filter.
- One Shas'ui has a Shield Generator, a Flamer and a Drone Controller with 2 Gun Drones, the other has a Flamer, a Fusion Blaster and a Drone Controller with 2 Shield Drones.
- Monat Configuration
- This tends to depend on the preference of the Tau within the suit.
T'au - Ta'ro'cha and Monat
- Fireknife Configuration
- Blinding Spear Pattern
- Monat - Soul Cleanse Configuration
Ordo Xenos Classification
|Ordo Xenos Departmento Analyticus Record|
|Serial Number||85673-908158||Main Armament||Plasma Rifle|
|Vehicle Codename||Crisis||Secondary Armament||Missile Pod|
|Weight||2.5 tonnes||Elevation||From -90° to +90°|
|Width||1.9m||Armour Type||Nano-Crystalline Alloy
|Max Recorded Speed||50kph on jetpack|
XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit
The XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit is a rare XV8 Bodyguard suit variant made of iridium. After the death of Commander Pridestar to a sniper's bullet and the subsequent Tau defeat during the Klodate Worlds Suppression, the Earth Caste developed an experimental iridium alloy and produced only enough for a small series of Battlesuits. While it offers Tau Commanders and their Bodyguards optimal protection, it is a luxury that few can afford, though Commander Dawnstar of the Dal'yth Sept is known to call upon them.[6a]
XV8 'Agile' Crisis Battlesuit
The XV8 'Agile' Crisis Battlesuit that has been retrofitted with an advanced stabilisation system and vectored retro-thrusters. This grants the suit greater maneuverability and agility.[7a]
XV8 'Armored' Crisis Battlesuit
The XV8 'Armored' Crisis Battlesuit is reinforced with iridium plating, granting better protection. Because of its reinforced chassis, this suit is heavier and less mobile than other Crisis suits.[7b]
XV8 'Command' Crisis Battlesuit
A XV8 'Command' Crisis Battlesuit has a command and control node hardwired into it. This AI-assisted transmission system allows for improved communication and targeting coordination with allies.[7c]
XV8 'Light' Crisis Battlesuit
The XV8 'Light' Crisis Battlesuit plating has been manufactured using lighter composite materials, granting improved speed while maintaining a moderate armor value.[7d]
XV8-05 Enforcer Battlesuit
The XV8-05 Enforcer Battlesuit is a variant of the standard Crisis Battlesuit used by Tau Commanders. Larger and more well-protected then standard Crisis Suits, the XV8-05 is armed with a variety of weapons such as Plasma Rifles, Fusion Blasters, Airbursting Fragmentation Projectors, and Cyclic Ion Blasters.
XV81 Crisis Battlesuit
XV84 Crisis Battlesuit
The XV84 Crisis Battlesuit variant is made for Tau Commanders and comes equipped with a Markerlight and Target Lock mounted on an spinal stock. It still retains three hardpoints to attach other equipment.
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
XV89 Crisis Battlesuit
The XV89 Crisis Battlesuit variant is made for Tau Commanders and is more heavily armoured than other battlesuits; however the extra weight also reduces its mobility. It still retains three hardpoints to attach other equipment.
- 1: Codex: Tau Empire, pg. 40
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign, pg. 171
- 3: White Dwarf #263 (US), Crisis! Tau Battlesuit Teams. A look at the strategies of the Tau battlesuits. by Pete Haines and Phil Kelly
- 4: Courage and Honour (Novel) by Graham McNeill, [Needs Citation]
- 5: White Dwarf April 2013 pg.6
- 6: Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition) pg.65
- 6a: pg.73
- 7: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution: The Last Stand
- 8: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/XV89-CRISIS-BATTLESUIT.html (last accessed 9 June 2015)
|Leadership||Ethereal • Tau Commander • Fireblade|
|Troops||Fire Warrior Team • Pathfinder Team • Stealthsuit Team • Drone Squadron|
|Battlesuits||XV8 Crisis • XV15 Stealth • XV22 Stealth • XV25 Stealth • XV88 Broadside • XV9 Hazard|
• XV46 Vanguard • XV104 Riptide • XV107 R'varna • XV109 Y'vahra • KV128 Stormsurge • KX139 Ta'unar
|Combat Vehicles||Devilfish • Drone Harbinger • Hammerhead • Piranha • Sky Ray • Tetra|
|Aircraft||Barracuda • Manta • Orca • Sun Shark • Razorshark • Tiger Shark • Remora|
|Auxiliaries||Kroot Carnivore Squad • Kroot Hound • Krootox • Knarloc • Great Knarloc • Vespind Stingwing • Gue'vesa|
|Special Characters||Aun'va • Aun'shi • Shadowsun • Farsight • Darkstrider • Longstrike|