|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
|All of creation suffers, young ones. Only in accepting our own mortality can we make a difference. Only in bearing the burden of our failures can we find the strength to go on. Only in detachment from glory, or honour, or jealousy... from life itself can we hope to spare others from grief.|
The Doom Eagles are descended from the Ultramarines Legion, having been split during the Second Founding and led by their first Chapter Master Tulian Aquila after the Horus Heresy. Counting themselves amongst the Primogenitors, the Doom Eagles follow many of the traditions of the Ultramarines themselves. However, in some ways, the Doom Eagles are very different to the other chapters of Guilliman's legacy. While the Ultramarines are of regal bearing, each a shining example of Space Marine ideals, the Doom Eagles are overtly morbid, their teachings focused on death and mourning. The central tenet of the Chapter's traditions is the acceptance that each and every Battle-Brother is already dying. Outwardly they appear consumed by grief at the approach of their doom, but as Space Marines they are immune to detrimental effects of such thoughts. The Doom Eagles suffer their morbid nature with stoicism and dignity, channelling it into a weapon of war through their Chapter's rites, culture, and traditions and by holding the belief that death is inevitable and that they are indeed slowly dying themselves, they find themselves free of any inhibitions and doubts which one such as them, a Space Marine, may still grasp. During the trials of selection, those few hopefuls who survive will only be chosen if they have conquered and accepted death during the trials, otherwise they will be left behind to perish in the face of the elements.
The Doom Eagles are organised as a Codex Chapter, following the dictates of their Primarch, yet focus heavily on the use of Assault Marines. With a focus on such tactics, the Doom Eagles veterans are regarded to be amongst the finest practitioners of the jump assault in the ranks of the Adeptus Astartes, however members of the Blood Angels and the Raven Guard Chapters may disagree.
Council of Eagles
Modelled upon the Council of Terra, the Chapter Master of the Doom Eagles can convene his Company Captains, senior Chaplain, Apothecary, Forge Master and Librarian in order to garner their views upon issues concerning the Chapter.
This is a museum revering tragic events with pieces from the battles upon Armageddon, Rocene, Malvolion, Telemachus, Brodra-kul and others elsewhere with the artefacts arranged around the perimeter with the centre containing masonry from the Imperial Palace, a feather of Sanguinius and a shard from the battle armour of the Emperor himself.
Hall of the Fallen
Above the Reclusiam are great slabs of obsidian arranged with the name of the honoured dead laser-etched onto its surface and with an artefact of the dead, such as a bullet casing, an eye-lens, shard of armour or an honour chain, encased in the panel alongside it.
Notable Elements of the Chapter
- 121.M31 - The Battle of Thessala
- 544-546.M32 - The War of the Beast
- ???.M41 - Jericho Reach - The 3rd Company proved key in the conquest of Wrath, a planet in the Canis Salient, where during the key battle they performed an orbital drop directly onto the island capital, displaying their mastery of jump assault tactics. Every squad, Tactical, Assault or Devastator, equipped jump packs in order to drop from high altitude some fifty kilometres away from the dangerous drop zone. This unique deployment allowed the Space Marines to evade enemy detection, whilst their jump packs arrested their descent when they steered themselves in at an extremely steep angle. Once the assault force was in range overhead of the enemy capital, the defenders were unable to mount anything else other than a hurried last stand which resulted in the death of the resistance leadership. Eventually most of the 3rd Company moved on to other war zones, apart from a small team who stayed behind to keep an eye on the Jericho Reach in what they refer to as the Long Watch. Deploying mainly as Assault Marines, these veterans stand ready to defend the Reach from the Imperium's enemies. 
- 13th Black Crusade - The Doom Eagles fielded elements from five different companies: the 1st, the 2nd (at full strength), the 4th (at full strength), the 6th, the 9th and the 10th, along with a sizeable part of their fleet, Librarius, Apothecarion and Armoury.
- 999.M41 - The Thirteenth Black Crusade - Upon arriving at the Cadian Gate, the Doom Eagles dispatched forces to war zones that had already suffered at the hands of Chaos. The largest of these detachments, under the command of Captain Luctus of the 3rd Company, was involved in operations within the Belis Corona subsector, against the plague zombies created by the Curse of Unbelief.[Needs Citation]
- Indomitus Crusade
Notable Doom Eagles
- Tulian Aquila - Founder and first Chapter Master. Formerly of the Ultramarines Legion.
- Hearon - current Chapter Master
- Balthus - Captain as of M41 and eventual Tetrarch of Ultramar
- Tolkca- Librarian Primus (the Chief Librarian of the Doom Eagles)
- Captain Consultus - "The Luckless" 3rd Company. Called the Luckless due to losing two Captains during the 13th Black Crusade, one at Yayor and one at Cadia.
- Luctus - Captain of the 3rd Company during the 13th Black Crusade[Needs Citation]
- Suhr Tarikus - 3rd Company Sergeant under Consultus. Was abducted by the Red Corsairs from aboard a medical frigate in the Segmentum Tempestus after the destruction of Serek and traded to Fabius Bile where upon he was held prisoner on Dynikas V . Veteran of campaigns such as Thaxted, Zanasar, Merron, the massacre at Krypt and the destruction of Serek.
- Zurus - Tarikus' replacement, acting as Sergeant for his squad till his return from Dynikas V two years later.
- Korica - Space Marine on Merron. Served under Tarikus before his abduction by the Red Corsairs. latter followed Zurus for two years.
- Mykilus - Space Marine on Merron. Served under Tarikus before his abduction by the Red Corsairs. latter followed Zurus for two years.
- Apothecary Petius - Space Marine on Merron. Served under Tarikus before his abduction by the Red Corsairs. latter followed Zurus for two years.
- Thryn - Librarian Secundus on Gathis II
- Keilor - Blew himself up in the midst of a Genestealer Cult while seconded to the Deathwatch[Needs Citation]
- Vega - Member of the Deathwatch during the War of the Beast
- Doombearer - Battle Barge
- Herald of Battle - Strike Cruiser
- Emperor's Storm - Strike Cruiser
- Baptism of Fire - Strike Cruiser
- 1: Codex: Ultramarines, [Needs Citation]
- 2: On Mournful Wings (Short Story) by Simon Spurrier
- 3: Deathwatch: Honour the Chapter, p. 109
- 4: Codex: Eye of Terror, p. 16
- 5: The Returned (Short Story) by James Swallow
- 6: Black Tide (Novel) by James Swallow, [Needs Citation]
- 7: Legends of the Space Marines (Anthology): Cover illustration by Hardy Fowler
- 8: Flames of Damnation (Comic Anthology)
- 9: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 84
- 10: The Last Son of Dorn (Novel), Chapter 5