Familiars take many forms. Those used by Imperial psykers are commonly cybernetically-augmented or mechanical animals or creatures. They are mentally linked with their master, which allows its master to command it, see and hear through its senses and use its powers. The master is aware of everything the familiar is aware of, and vice-versa. If the familiar is injured, psychic feedback will hurt the master as well.
In the Inquisition
Familiars are also a type of servant in an Inquisitorial Retinue. An Inquisitor is occasionally accompanied by familiars attuned to his telepathic signature. These strange constructs not only boost his alertness to danger but also act as psychic conduits. An Inquisitor accompanied by a Familiar finds his psychic abilities amplified.
- Haemoncolytes, symbiotes used within the Adeptus Mechanicus.
- Hamadrya, a unique familiar used by Lufgt Huron.
- Gyrinx, cat-like creatures used by Eldar psykers as familiars.
- Servo-skulls, drone-like devices fashioned from human skulls.
- Cherub, a construct of the Adeptus Mechanicus.
- Caryatid, a small winged Necromundan creature.
- Psyber-Ravens are dark winged constructs used for scouting.
- 1: Inquisitor Rulebook, pg. 54
- 2: Deathwatch: First Founding, pg. 107
- 3: Codex: Daemonhunters (3rd Edition), pg. 14
- 4: Deathwatch: Rites of Battle, pg. 146