|This article is about the Tyranid genus, for the Imperial Guard officer see Ibram Gaunt|
Gaunt (Gauntii) is the genus for a number of the smaller Tyranid species - including Termagants, Spinegaunts, Hormagaunts and Gargoyles. The Gaunt species are smaller and less physically powerful than most other Tyranid organisms, but they are extraordinarily adaptable and always attack in large numbers. They are a fully mutable species, and some are grown with extra wings, adrenaline/venom sacs and even bizarre bio-weapon symbiotes, including the dreaded Spike Rifle.
Available Bio-weapons mutations
Sometimes groups of Gaunts are gathered together to form a specialized brood. They are usually similar in some way, often by their armament. Some of these include:
- Impaler Broods
Impaler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Spike Rifles.
- Strangler Broods
Strangler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Stranglewebs.
Species of Gaunt
- Gargoyles are a species of gaunt that are are armed with a Fleshborer. They have also evolved a blinding venom attack and wings.
- The Hormagaunt is a gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons. It has also evolved a remarkable leaping ability.
- The Spinegaunt is Gaunt species that is armed with Spinefists.
- The Termagant is the most numerous gaunt species. It is armed with a Fleshborer. The term "Termagant" is often used, in a broader sense, to mean any gaunt species that carries a ranged weapon symbiote.
There are many other sub-species of Gaunt which little is known, among them are:
- Codex: Tyranids (3rd Edition)
- Codex: Tyranids (4th Edition)
- Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project
- Strangler and Skewer (accessed 2007.05.30)
|Command||Hive Tyrant • Broodlord|
|Elites||Hive Guard • Lictor • Malanthrope • Pyrovore • Ravener • Venomthrope • Tyranid Warrior/Tyranid Prime • Tyrant Guard • Zoanthrope|
|Basic||Genestealer/Ymgarl Genestealer • Hormagaunt • Spinegaunt • Termagant • Ripper|
|Heavy||Biovore • Carnifex • Hierodule • Mawloc • Tervigon • Trygon/Trygon Prime • Tyrannofex|
|Airborne||Gargoyle • Harpy • Harridan • Shrike|
|Bio-Titans||Dominatrix • Hierophant|
|Spores||Mieotic Spore • Mycetic Spore • Spore Mine|
|Unique Tyranids||Swarmlord • Death Leaper • Doom of Malan'tai • Old One Eye • Parasite of Mortrex • Red Terror|