|This article is about the Imperial Inquisitor, for the Novel by Dan Abnett see Ravenor (Novel)|
Gideon Ravenor was a renowned Imperial Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos.
While serving as an Interrogator in the retinue of the infamous Gregor Eisenhorn - who later sponsored his promotion to Inquisitor in 346.M41 - Ravenor's body was crippled during a chaos attack on the Holy Novena on Thracian Primaris. He suffered 3rd degree burns to his entire body, and was consequently interred inside a force chair, which boosted his already powerful psychic abilities and enabled him to continue his work on behalf of the Ordo Xenos.
In addition to his team, Ravenor has other allies that help him in times of need. Ravenor also allied with a group of Eldar for some time, a highly unorthodox occurrence among the Ordo Xenos, if not outright heresy. Unsurprisingly, Ravenor endeavours to keep this association a secret.
Ravenor's already-potent psychic abilities actually became more acute after his wounding, to compensate for his crippled body. His force chair contains built-in psi-amplifiers which further boost his powers. The exact grade of his powers is unclear; in one source, he is described as between high-level delta and low-level gamma, while in another he is described as "Alpha plus," though this may be a deliberate exaggeration.
Ravenor is able to communicate telepathically with his agents over great distances, as well as temporarily take control of their bodies, a process called "waring", via the wraithbone pendants they wear. Waring allows Ravenor to see an investigation from his agent's perspective or, when that agent is threatened, significantly boosts his or her situational awareness and reflexes.
Ravenor is also able to read people's minds, and defeat all but the strongest psykers in single combat.
- Interrogator Carl Thonius - Ravenor's pupil and protégé. While he is trained in the use of weapons and can hold his own in close combat, most of the time he chooses not to be involved in the more violent parts of Ravenor's business. He has considerable skill with hacking, data handling and retrieval. Thonius is possessed by the daemon Slyte, and is destroyed as Slyte takes physical form in Ravenor Rogue.
- Harlon Nayl - An ex-bounty hunter formerly under employment of Inquisitor Eisenhorn. Carries a vast array of weapons. Nayl leads most operations and seems to be one of the most senior team members.
- Kara Swole - A former dancer-acrobat, trained in the use of deadly weapons. Regularly described as a voluptuous beauty. Formerly under employment of Inquisitor Eisenhorn.
- Patience Kys - A telekinetic psyker with a shady past. Inquisitor Ravenor rescues her from a corrupt orphanage as a young woman and trains her abilities. Patience Kys is not her real name and it is never revealed.
- Zeph Mathuin - Silent ex-bounty hunter. Ill tempered and heavily armed. Because of an apparent natural affinity he was Ravenor's favourite vessel for waring. Mathuin favoured a multi-barrel rotator cannon. He was killed by a daemon during the events of Ravenor Returned.
- Wystan Frauka - An 'Untouchable', a man with the latent ability to block out psychic activity. Big, chain-smoking and disliked by pretty much everyone (in part because of his psychic blankness. It was mentioned in Xenos that the field untouchables project also creates a sense of fear, revulsion and dread in others.). An interesting difference to the Eisenhorn novels is Frauka's so-called inhibitor, a device allowing him to shut down his natural anti-psi field. He is often found passing the time by reading pornographic data-slates or staring at the female members of the team.
- Zael Effernetti - A boy, about 14 years old, addicted to flects when he first appears. In the wake of Ravenor's investigation to uncover the source of the flects, Zael gets taken along for being able to "hear" the telepathic communication between Ravenor and Nayl. He is a psychic "mirror," with no real psychic capabilities of his own. As well as his precognitive abilities, he is able to use the psychic powers of others in his vicinity but not for an extended period of time. He also shares Frauka's attraction to pornography as demonstrated in Ravenor Rogue. Seeing the boy's potential as a deamon hunter, Ravenor gave Zael over to the Grey Knights. Zael's personality was erased and he was renamed Hyperion. As a Grey Knight, Hyperion served in the First War of Armageddon where he used his considerable abilities to shatter Angron's Black Blade. Before the battle however, believing he would die, Hyperion spoke with the Inquisitor he served under and learned fully about his origins as one of Gideon Ravenor's followers. Hyperion was never able to fully bond with any squad he was attached to after that. As a result, Hyperion was promoted to the rank of Prognosticar, of which there can be only one at a time.
- Maud Plyton - An ex-Magistrum marshall who during investigation of a suspected suicide stumbles across a secret central to the plans of a world wide conspiracy on the planet Eustis Majoris to recreate a powerful warp based language. She joins Ravenor after she and her family are targeted for assassination. She is noted to having cute facial features that clash with her no nonsense marshall appearance.
- Cynia Preest - Captain of the Hinterlight, a rogue trade ship regularly employed by Ravenor. The Hinterlight is equipped with a custom-built stealth device partly comprised of alien technology, partly powered by Ravenor's own considerable psychic powers.
- Sholto Unwerth - Captain of the Arethusa, a rogue trade ship that Ravenor employs after leaving the Hinterlight.
Other Known Associates
- 1: Hereticus (Novel) by Dan Abnett, Chapter 16
- 2: Ravenor (Novel) by Dan Abnett, [Needs Citation]
- 3: Ravenor Returned (Novel) by Dan Abnett, [Needs Citation]
- 4: Ravenor Rogue (Novel) by Dan Abnett, [Needs Citation]
- 5: The Emperor's Gift by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, [Needs Citation]