Khorne is the Chaos god of anger, violence, and hate. Khorne is the mightiest and the second to emerge of the four Gods of Chaos, fully coming into existence during Terra's Middle Ages. Every act of violence gives Khorne power, whether committed by his followers or by their enemies.
The name "Khorne" derives from his Dark Tongue name, "Kharneth", meaning "Lord of Rage" or "Lord of Blood".[Needs Citation] Although Khorne despises the use of magic and accordingly hates Tzeentch, Slaanesh is his opposite. Khorne and Slaanesh personify two entirely opposing aspects of Chaos, and Khorne considers Slaanesh a weakling without martial pride or honour. Images of Khorne show it to be a mighty being, sitting upon a great throne of brass atop a mountainous pile of bleached skulls centered in a lake of blood. The skulls are of all those slain by Khorne's Champions, and of all his slain Champions. The mountain slowly grows ever higher.[Needs Citation]
Khorne is said to have inherited a martial nobility and honour, and considers the weak and helpless to be unworthy of his wrath. His associated number is eight, reflected in the organisation of his armies, and in smaller matters such as the number of syllables in a daemonic follower's name.[Needs Citation]
Worship of Khorne
Khorne's followers are warriors without exception, if only in mind than in occupation. His followers build no temples but rather worship him on the battlefield. To devote time to building temples rather than fighting for something would more likely incur Khorne's wrath than please him. Worship of Khorne is purely through bloodshed, either from one's enemies in victory or one's own through earnest struggle; it is said that any follower who allows a day to pass without contributing to this act of worship will incur Khorne's displeasure.[Needs Citation]
The battle-cry of the followers of Khorne reflects his desire for wanton violence and is feared by all who hear it: 'Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!'.[Needs Citation]
In the mythology of the primitive inhabitants of Fenris, "Ghorghe" (presumably a misinterpretation of Khorne) is an evil deity, described as the offspring of the dark god Horus and the dragon goddess Skrinneir, and is imprisoned within one of the planet's volcanic islands after being defeated by Leman Russ.
Daemons of Khorne
- Bloodthirsters - The Greater Daemons of Khorne. Of all the Daemons of Chaos they bear the greatest resemblance to the archetypical demon, having a human body, cloven hooves, leathery bat-like wings and horned dogs-heads. They wield a fiery whip and a massive two-headed battleaxe (which, in original background were daemon weapons binding another Bloodthirster) simultaneously in battle. They are the strongest and most aggressive of all Daemons. The mightiest Bloodthirster of Khorne is An'ggrath the Unbound. In the last 10,000 years, An'ggrath has only been summoned twice from the Warp. Both successful summonings have resulted in great loss for the Imperium as many worlds fell to his terrible wrath.
- Bloodletters - The common Daemons of Khorne. They are horned humanoids with hunched, crested backs, and their limbs are wiry but are notoriously strong. They wield blood-drinking blades called Hellblades. They are also known as the Naked Slayers, the Teeth of Death and the Horned Ones.
- Flesh Hounds - the Daemon Beasts of Khorne are the monstrous and ferocious vaguely-canine creatures notorious for their ability to track down their chosen prey. They are also known as Hunters of Blood and have claws to rend their foes apart once they catch them. They exist for the sheer thrill of the chase and the inevitable kill. By some accounts, the Flesh Hounds were loosed against cowardly warriors who killed the weak and unworthy.
- Juggernauts - daemonic steeds of Khorne, sometimes granted to Champions of Khorne as mounts. A huge beasts made from living daemonic metal, it roughly resembles a gigantic rhinoceros. These beasts are kept in pens where they tend to fight for dominance amongst themselves. However, a particularly favoured mortal or daemonic champion will sometimes attempt to claim one as a mount. This is no easy task, and the smashed remnants of the unlucky ones are left smeared around the Juggernaut's pens, but a few are successful and subdue one receiving the boon of being its master and riding it into battle.
Daemon Engines of Khorne
A Daemon Engine is a part-technological, part-daemonic vehicle, those dedicated to Khorne include -
- Lord of Battles
- Cauldron of Blood
- Tower of Skulls
- Death Dealer
- Blood Reaper
- Doom Blaster
- Brass Scorpion
- Blood Slaughterer
- Blood Throne
- Skull Cannon
- Lord of Skulls
Forces dedicated to Khorne
Chaos Space Marines
- The World Eaters Traitor Legion: Chaos Space Marines who have been dedicated to Khorne since the time of the Horus Heresy. Since the aftermath of the Heresy, the legion no longer operates as a whole but is split into many smaller warbands, known sun-factions include -
- Angron's Chosen
- Ba'ar Zul's Cleavers
- Berserkers of Skallathrax
- Blood Legion of Khorne
- The Butcherhorde
- The Foresworn
- Lord Skchalick's Elite
- The Sanctified
- Skull Takers of Hans Kho'ren
- The Ravagers
- Gladiator Group 138
- Bloody Dawn
Not all Khornate Space Marines are descended from the World Eaters, some of these warbands include -
- Blood Disciples
- Knights of Blood (Warband)
- The Sanctified
- Hounds of Abaddon
- Savage Swords
- Fists of Brass
- Brazen Beasts
- Blades of Rage
- The Blood Pact - a highly organized Chaos warrior-cult devoted to Khorne.
- Blood Cults
- Blooded Hands[Needs Citation]
- Sons of Slaughter
Notable Servants of Khorne
- Angron - Primarch of the World Eaters, now a powerful Daemon Prince
- An'ggrath - the mightiest of Khorne's Bloodthirsters
- Ka'Bandha - a powerful Bloodthirster who fought Sanguinius twice during the Horus Heresy, and rumoured to be responsible for the Red Thirst that has afflicted the Blood Angels chapter ever since.
- Skarbrand - a powerful Bloodthirster
- Doombreed - An ancient Daemon Prince of Khorne who fought on Horus's battlebarge during the Heresy
- Skulltaker - A powerful Bloodletter and Daemonic Herald of Khorne
- Kharn – formerly a Captain of the World Eaters and Angron's equerry - now the favoured mortal Champion of Khorne
- Kossolax - powerful warband leader
- Roghrax Bloodhand - World Eaters champion who has vowed to collect a skull from every warrior species in the galaxy.
- Sholen Skara - A warlord under Archon Nadzybar during the Sabbat Worlds Crusade
- Uraka Az'baramael - A powerful Daemon Prince and leader of the daemonic warband Uraka's Head-Hunters
- Zhufor the Impaler - Leader of the powerful World Eaters war band known as the Skulltakers. Also known as the Butcher of Vraks.
Gifts of Khorne
As with all the Chaos Gods, Khorne will often reward his most favoured followers with special gifts and blessings. Khorne's gifts can take many forms, including physical mutations, daemon weapons or heightened strength.
The Fortress of Khorne
The Fortress of Khorne is Khorne's realm within the Warp. It is a monument to fury and bloodshed, and is built upon foundations of murder and conflict. This blood-soaked realm echoes constantly with Khorne's bellows and the clash of weapons. At the centre of this mighty fortress lies the Brass Citadel, where Khorne's mighty throne resides. He sits atop a mountain of skulls, those slain in his name. A great fire pit lights Khorne's gloomy chamber, the dark flames consume the souls of cowards who have fled from battle. Inside the Fortress lays the foundries of Khorne, manned by souls of warriors who died in their sleep and thus forever shamed by the Blood God. Around the citadel flows a moat, and is filled not with water, but with the boiling blood of those who have lost their lives to war. Beyond this moat lies league upon league of cracked land, littered with the ravaged bones of those fallen in battle. A mighty crevasse splits the wasteland in two, a canyon many miles long and bottomless. The fortress is also said to contain pens of Juggernauts and a complex of battlements equipped with great infernal cannons.
It is said that Khorne himself was once consumed by such rage that he took up his sword and smote the ground, splitting it asunder for eternity. This fell sword is known by many names including 'Warmaker' and the 'End of All Things', and is capable of laying waste to worlds with a single blow.
- 1: Codex: Chaos Daemons (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 2: White Dwarf 279 (UK), p.113
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Seven - The Siege of Vraks - Part Three, p. 16
- 4: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), p.20
- 5: Chaos Renegade Gallery at games-workshop.com
- 6: Blood Pact (Novel) by Dan Abnett[Needs Citation]
- 7: White Dwarf 148 (UK) [Needs Citation]
- 8: White Dwarf 164 (UK) [Needs Citation]
- 9: Space Wolf (Novel) - The Space Wolf Omnibus by William King, Chapter One, pg. 28
- 10: Imperial Armour Volume Six - The Siege of Vraks - Part Two, pg. 135
- 11: Ghostmaker (Novel) by Dan Abnett, Part Nine: A Simple Plan
- 12: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 25
- 13: Black Crusade: The Tome of Blood, pg. 7
- 14: Codex: Chaos Daemons (6th Edition), pg. 14
- 15: Cold Blood (Short Story) by David Guymer
- Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, [Needs Citation]
- Liber Chaotica, [Needs Citation]
- Imperial Armour Volume Seven - The Siege of Vraks - Part Three, pp. 17, 138, p. 67
- Citadel Catalogue 2004/5, pg. 89
|Gods of Chaos||Khorne • Tzeentch • Slaanesh • Nurgle • Malice|
|Chaos Space Marines||Armoury • Warbands|
|Daemons||Daemon Prince • Greater Daemon • Lesser Daemon • Daemonic Beasts • Daemon Engines • Daemonic Herald • Daemon Weapons • Daemonic Gifts|
|The Lost and the Damned||Chaos Cult • Traitor Guard • Mutants • Beastmen • Rogue Psyker • Armoury|
|The Traitor Primarchs||Alpharius/Omegon • Angron • Fulgrim • Horus • Lorgar • Konrad Curze • Magnus the Red • Mortarion • Perturabo|
|Notable Characters||Abaddon • Ahriman • Blue Scribes • Changeling • Epidemius • Fabius Bile • Kairos Fateweaver • Ku'Gath • Typhus • Khârn • Lucius • Lufgt Huron • Be'lakor • M'kar • The Masque • Skarbrand • Skulltaker|
|Other||Traitor Titan Legions • Daemon Knights • Dark Mechanicum • Chaos Space Fleet • Chaos Vehicles • Chaos Artefacts • Eye of Terror • Maelstrom • Warp|