Knights of the Raven
|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Knights of the Raven have a mysterious background, with only a scant few details known about them within the ranks of the Adeptus Astartes, Deathwatch, and the Inquisition. Due only to the coincidence of similar iconography and title, the Knights of the Raven are assumed to be a chapter founded during a Later Founding using Raven Guard gene-stock in the latter half of M38. After defeating the Alpha Legion alongside the Aurora Chapter in the Redemption Rebellion in 744.M41, the knights blamed the Aurora Chapter for the losses and the two chapters have been in a bitter feud since.
- Jeghan Revolt: At the beginning of the 41st Millennium, the hive world of Jeghan revolted against the Imperium in reaction to the extent of the tithes placed upon their soldiers in order to supply the campaigns against the Great Tyrant of Jagga with manpower. Led by subversive elements of the population, this small dissent turned into full-blown rebellion. The Knights of the Raven acted quickly, crushing all resistance except for the power base in Jeghan Hive Secundus. However, the Knights of the Raven soon found themselves caught in a lengthy siege against a well-prepared and dug-in enemy. To break the siege, a clever tactic was devised by an unknown battle-brother, which required the efficient and expert use of Land Raider Redeemers. Named the Hellstorm combine-fire tactic, it required the simultaneous firing of multiple Flamestorm Cannons of several Redeemers against a single target point. No matter how well protected, nothing was found capable of withstanding the heat and, within weeks, the rebels surrendered.
- Achilus Crusade: A small sub-company task force of Astartes from the Knights of the Raven arrived unannounced in the Jericho Reach via the Jericho-Maw Warp Gate and fought and aided other Imperial forces for three years after their arrival. It appears that the Knights of the Raven have taken it upon themselves as their solemn duty to serve in the Achilus Crusade, as their honour demands it. Since the time of their arrival, a small number of Knights of the Raven Battle Brothers have taken the Apocryphon Oath and have taken up a place in the Long Watch, again as a matter of honour to do their part in service to the crusade.
- Zeist Campaign: The Knights of the Raven answered the call from Marneus Calgar with three full battle companies to aid in the campaign against the Tau, in order to repay a debt incurred some twelve centuries earlier.[3c]
- At some point, the Knights of the Raven came to blows with Astartes from the Aurora Chapter regarding Chaplain Givus of the Knights of the Raven's 2nd company. Givus was accused of cultivating superstition and fanaticism on the Aurora Chapter's feudal home world. Marneus Calgar of the Ultramarines had to intervene in order to end the conflict. As penance, the Knights of the Raven Chapter is currently engaged in an arduous deployment of hit-and-run attacks against Hive Fleet Kraken[3a]. One of the worlds saved in these attacks was the Death World Vallyx V.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook, pg. 132
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid on Kastorel-Novem, pg. 104
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- 4: Deathwatch: Honour the Chapter, pg. 111
- 5: Liber Apocalyptica: Forces of the Space Marines, pg. 39
- 6: Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 65
- 7: Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition) (E-Book Edition) pg. 215
- 8: Dataslate: Reclusiam Command Squad (Background Book) pg. 12
- 9: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 89
- 10: Dataslate: Reclusiam Command Squad (Background Book) - Notable Reclusiam Command Squads