The Legio Gryphonicus (aka the War Griffons) are a Titan Legion with an illustrious history. Born during the very founding of the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Legio Gryphonicus, better known as the War Griffons, has seen action in many battles against Traitor Titan Legions since the Horus Heresy.
|Colour Scheme||Info||Legion Symbol|
|Alternative name:||War Griffons|
|Founded:||Age of Strife|
|Forge World:||Gryphonne IV|
|Colours:||Dappled grey with yellow|
|Battle Cry:||War is Just|
The Legion was founded sometime during the Age of Strife and at the time was the primary tool of power of the pocket empire of Gryphonne IV. The planet itself had been colonized by Tech-priests from Mars. The legion became one of the largest and most well-equipped of the Great Crusade alongside the Legio Mortis, Legio Destructor, Legio Crucius and Legio Magna. It gained many battle-honours, most notably in the Rangdan Genocide and Ullanor Crusade. When the Horus Heresy broke out, the Legion remained true to the Emperor. However before the rebellion Horus had foreseen this decision and scattered the Legion across the Galaxy under the pretense of their presence being necessary for many smaller campaigns. Warzones included the Battle of Molech.
In alongside a battle group of the War Griffons Titans with the Gryphonne IV Skitarii forces took part in the Castra Campaign where with the help of the first batch of newly produced Leman Russ Conquerors, they encircled and trapped the traitor besiegers of Hive Castra Septus, eliminating the traitors within the pocket.
However the Legion suffered a catastrophic defeat in 997.M41 when its Forge World of Gryphonne IV was overrun by Hive Fleet Leviathan. During the battle, the majority of the Legion was torn to pieces by swarms of Tyranid Hierophants and Tyrannofexes. However a portion of the Legion survived the tragedy and was able to provide a total of eight Battle Titans to the Betalis Campaign against the Eldar. Some of its surviving Titans also took part in the defense of Cadia during the Thirteenth Black Crusade. The Fortress World was destroyed in that conflict, but the final fate of the Legio's Titans is unknown.
- Invictus Nova - Ancient Reaver Class Titan that was created shortly after the Legion's creation.
- Dictatio - Reaver Class Titan
- Magna Canis - Warhound Class Titan
- Sanctus Venator - Warhound Class Titan
- Tempus Prima - Warhound Class Titan
Legio Gryphonicus in action on Betalis III
- 1: White Dwarf 120, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Eleven - The Doom of Mymeara, pgs. 106-107
- 3: The Horus Heresy Book Three pgs. 160-161
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume One - Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy, pg. 53
- 5: Imperial Armour Update 2002, pg. 45
- 6: Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus (8th Edition), pg. 23 - Gryphonne IV
- Imperial Armour Volume Eleven - The Doom of Mymeara, pg. 27
- Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pg. 28
- Codex Titanicus (1st Edition)