Second only to the Eye of Terror in size, scope, and intensity, The Maelstrom is a massive Warp Storm and spatial vortex that lies near the center of the Galaxy. A place where the material universe and the Warp overlap, the laws of physics do not apply and it is infested with all kinds of cosmic horrors, such as Daemons and hordes of Chaos Mutants. Off limits to the Imperium, it has served as a refuge for pirates, brigands, outcasts, and Chaos Space Marines.
A volatile region to live in, the Imperium struggles to retain control over the regions of space surrounding the Malestrom Zone. The whole region itself is plagued by unpredictable spatial phenomena such as ionic reefs, null zones, and nomadic singularities. Warp travel is also highly unpredictable and hazardous, and this perhaps more than any other factor is responsible for the fact that the Malestrom Zone has remained untamed by the Adeptus Terra.
The Maelstrom as a Refuge
Sectors and Subsectors Surrounding The Maelstrom
Notable planets in and around the Malestrom Zone
Other Locations and Anomalies of the Maelstrom
- Mawtex - phenomena full of little globules resembling blood
- Perdition's Gate
- Phorneus Rapidity
- Sinistral Gate - area of relatively calm space favoured by renegades and pirates striking out of the Maelstrom
- Storm of Maws
- Vassago Stream
- 1: Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pgs. 9-11
- 3: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 87 - Huron Blackheart
- 4: Sons of the Hydra (Novel), Part III - ν Sea Serpents