The Mantis Warriors (or Mantis Legion) are a Space Marine Chapter, who sided with the rebel Astral Claws during the Badab War. They were granted the Emperor's forgiveness at the conclusion of the conflict.
|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The first recorded involvement by Loyalist Marines came in 904.M41, when the Fire Hawks ship Rapturous Fire was attacked and captured by the Mantis Warriors. In 907.M41, as Badab was being besieged by loyalists, two chapters were drafted in to investigate the worlds occupied by the Mantis Warriors and Executioners.[Needs Citation]
In 912.M41 the rebellion was defeated and the Astral Claws nearly destroyed. The Mantis Warriors were granted the Emperor's forgiveness and sent on a one hundred year crusade. Their Chapter Master, Khoisan Neotera, was stripped of his honour and armour, and imprisoned in Penitentiacon in isolation for the rest of his life. As part of this penitent crusade their homeworld, Ootheca, was forfeited to the Space Sharks Chapter, which had taken part as loyalists in the war. This meant that for the duration of the crusade the Mantis Warriors would be forbidden to recruit new members, and as of the end of M41 they are critically short of personnel.[Needs Citation]
Post Badab War
Many Mantis Warriors believe that their chapter is cursed and many outside the chapter still regard them as traitors despite their official pardon.
The Mantis Warriors have formed a specialized fighting unit within the Chapter, named the Praying Mantidae, a cadre of warriors tasked with tracking down the renegade Astral Claws. These elite units are given training in excess of that given to "normal" Marines. The Geneseed of the Mantis Warriors has a flaw - it does not function properly with the Preomnor implant. As such, when a Mantis Warrior sets himself into a certain frame of mind the Prenomor gland secretes a potent neurotoxin that permanently changes the marine's physiology; the frame of mind in question is one of deepest penance and piety. This neurotoxin alters the marine's sense of space and time, increasing his reaction rate to near-precognitive states; it also increases his strength to a great extent. To a human it would seem that the warrior is simply stepping aside before anything happens. Unfortunately this marvelous gift comes at a price - the change is irreversible and the marine's sight becomes tunneled to the point of not noticing anything that is not a target. The Mantis Warriors call this state of mind the "Battle-haze". Each Company has a unit of Battle Brothers who have given their all to the Emperor and in acts of such faith have entered the "Battle-haze". These units are called Mantis Religiosa. The Battle Brother who discovered this genetic flaw was called Maetrus, a Captain, who, after organising the "Praying Mantidae" subsequently fell into the "Battle-haze" whilst battling a Company of Astral Claws. When the Astral Claws had been broken and their forces were fleeing, Maetrus plunged after them into the Eye of Terror with single-minded determination, never to be seen or heard from again.
- Scourge of the Slave Lords: The Mantis Warriors battled Dark Eldar raiders over Tranquility-II.[6a]
- Badab War:
- Herodian IV: The Mantis Warriors answered a distress call from the planet when it came under Tyranid attack. They managed to evacuate 270,000 people but Second Company was badly mauled defending an Adeptus Mechanicus station prior to the arrival of a Deathwatch kill team.
- First Company deployed for the Centius Campaign.
- War of Quile's Folly: An entire battle company, plus six hundred thousand allied Vostroyans fall to a premature Exterminatus.
- Khoisan Neotera, Chapter Master
- Sartaq, Chapter Master at the start of the Badab War
- Audin, Captain, Second Company
- Maetrus, Captain
- Ahazra Redth, Chief Librarian
- Shaidan, Librarian 
- Aegir, Chaplain
- Dasein, Techmarine
- Hoenir, Terminator Sergeant 
- Magnir, Devastator Sergeant Second Company
- Ruinus, Devastator Sergeant Second Company
- Balder, Veteran Sergeant Second Company
- Soron, Assault Sergeant Second Company
- Lodur, Command Squad Standard Bearer Veteran Second Company
- Haldrus, Devastator
- Nerthus, Devastator
The chapter has the Battle Barge Endless Redemption[9a] and at least two Strike Cruisers—the Penitent Quest[9b] and the Sword of Contrition.[9c] The Mantis Warriors also possess the vessel Venomous Blade.
Technology and weapons
- 1: White Dwarf 101 (UK) "Index Astartes: The Badab Uprising" by Rick Priestley
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, p. 19
- 3: The Trial of the Mantis Warriors (Short Story) by C.S. Goto - Legends of the Space Marines (Anthology), pp. 377–427
- 4: Warrior Brood (Novel) by C.S. Goto Chapter 1 pp. 7–37
- 5: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part_One, 2010 p. 34
- 6: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part_Two (2010)
- 7: Predator Assassin Squadron Apocalypse Datasheet
- 8: The Trial of the Mantis Warriors (Short Story) by C.S. Goto - Legends of the Space Marines (Anthology), pp. 225–231
- 9: Warrior Brood (Novel) by C.S. Goto - Kill Squad: A Deathwatch Omnibus