Marneus Augustus Calgar
As one might expect from an embodiment of the Ultramarines' nobility, Calgar is immune to fear and is resolutely courageous under fire; where lesser men would dive for cover when being fired upon, Marneus Calgar takes quick stock of the situation, decides the best course of action, and only if he so decides to leap into cover, then he will do so.
Within a vault inside the Fortress of Hera are records devoted to the achievments and deeds of notable Ultramarines; twenty-eight volumes are devoted to Marneus Calgar, twice the number devoted to that of any other living Ultramarine, and unsurpassed by any other in the Chapter's history except Roboute Guilliman himself. These achievements include:
- Leading the breaching assault on the Tyranid Hive Ship designated Behemoth Primus during the Battle of Macragge.
- Single-handedly holding the gate against an Ork Horde for a night and a day at the Siege of Zalathras.
- Defeating an Eldar Avatar in single-handed combat, thus leading to the rout of Eldar forces at the Battle for Orar's Sepulchre.
- Recapturing the star fort Indomitable from the daemonic hordes of M'kar the Reborn.
- Claiming data-records from the world of Thrax as it was being overrun by Daemons.
- Surviving a Night Lords ambush and rallying the populous of the Feudal World of Barathred to defeat hundreds of the traitorous Chaos Space Marines.
Other Notable Commands
- Corinthian Crusade
- Siege of Talwa
- Scouring of Quistarn
- Battle of Arconar
- Battle of Knarts Landing
- Balur Crusade
- Battle of Ichar IV
In battle, Calgar is armed with the Gauntlets of Ultramar - a pair of master-crafted power fists incorporating a pair of bolters. The Gauntlets were reclaimed by Primarch Roboute Guilliman from a Chaos Champion after the Gamalia Reclusiam Massacre. He also carries an Iron Halo and wears either the Armour of Antilochus (an ornate suit of Terminator Armour) or a suit of Artificer Armour.[2b]
In keeping with his position as Chapter Master, he is often accompanied in combat by a unit of the elite Ultramarines Honour Guard, frequently including the Chapter Ancient bearing the Banner of Macragge.
Older sources state that Calgar was found amongst those taken by the Tyranid Hive Fleet Locust, at approximately age 14; and that he was then recruited into the Ultramarines as a neophyte in the armoury and rose quickly through the ranks to serve as Master of the Household before finally becoming the Lord of Macragge. This is contradicted in several later publications which state that Hive Fleet Behemoth was the first recorded conflict with the Tyranids and that Calgar was not only a member of the Ultramarines at that time, but already Chapter Master. [2a] 
The same older publication states that, following a skirmish against the Hive Fleet Perseus in 976.M41, Calgar lost all four limbs as well as large areas of body tissue and his left eye and that he is now fitted with bionic replacements and is is more machine than man. All depictions (and models) of Calgar show him as having a bionic eye, but no mention of other injuries or bionic implants has made in further publications.
- "We follow in the footsteps of Guilliman. As it is written in the Codex, so shall it be."[3a]
- "Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath."[3b]
- "You all heard Varro's words. The daemon is vulnerable, exposed, and we have one chance to end this. Right here and right now, the fate of Ultramar is in our hands. You are the best and bravest of your Chapter, and though we may die in these mountains, we will die in service to something greater than blood, something greater than land. We fight for what we know is right. I will lead you in that fight, and all I ask is that you fight like the heroes you are!" - rallying the survivors of the 1st Company on Talassar, for a final charge against M'kar[4a]
- 1: White Dwarf 97 (UK), Ultra-marines
- 2: Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition)
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- 4: Chapter's Due (Novel) by Graham McNeill:
- 4a: Ch. 23, p. 307
- 5: Codex: Tyranids (3rd Edition) - inside back cover (pg. 46)
- 6: Codex: Ultramarines (2nd Edition) pg. 72