Mars Class Battlecruiser
The Mars Class Battle Cruiser was designed to replace the Exorcist Class Grand Cruiser as a small fleet carrier and long range patrol ship. It serves in both roles adequately well, but excels at neither.
The Mars class features the classic armoured prow, allowing it to close with the enemy in relative safety. Its main armament consists of medium sized, long ranged weapons batteries, two lances on the dorsal section, and the fearsome Nova Cannon. It can also support a good number of attack craft. These allow the Mars Class to engage the enemy whilst out of range of their main weapon systems, or go closer to the enemy and use its attack craft to protect itself or make lightning raids against enemy ships.
The Mars Class is thought to be undergunned by many Imperial Navy Captains, and the shipyards of Mars stopped laying down Mars Class keels some 1,900 years ago. Those that remain, however, are on active front line duty, for as many captains who do not like them, there are those who adore their ability to operate at stand-off range.
Notable Mars Class Vessels
- Pax Imperium
- Marquis Lex
- Jovian - Sub-class
- Fist of Russ - formerly the Resolute, captured by Berek Thunderfist's predecessor and turned into Space Wolf service.[Needs Citation]
- Dimensions: 5.4 km long, 0.85 km abeam at fins approx.
- Mass: 33 megatonnes approx.
- Crew: 107,000 crew; approx.
- Accel: 2.3 gravities max sustainable acceleration.
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 108
- 2: Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), [Needs Citation]
- 3: White Dwarf #232, "De'Aynes Fighting Ships of the Gothic Sector", pg. 15
- 4: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, pg. 22
- 5: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Video Game)