Overlord Class Battlecruiser
The Overlord Class Battle Cruiser is a popular ship, both with Imperial Navy Captains and Admirals. Captains favour its long range weaponry, good armour, and reasonable speed, whilst the Admirals like the fact it can dish out punishment at the range of a battleship, whilst being able to manoeuvre like a cruiser.
The Overlord is based on the archaic Acheron Class Heavy Cruiser. Due to difficulties reproducing the power relays of the Acheron, the Overlord's torpedo tubes replaced prow-facing weapons batteries. This change created a surplus of power which was used to boost the range of the Overlord's dorsal lance array to a level usually only seen on battleships.
Many see the Overlord as the poor man's Retribution Class Battleship, however it is much more than that. It is a formidable ship in its own right, capable of taking on almost any comparable ship, and emerge victorious, due to its longer range and good armour. The Overlord also incorporates respectable shield and turret cover, which allow it to survive incoming fire, and attack craft, respectively.
Notable Overlord Class Vessels
- Dimensions: 5.3 km long, 0.85 km abeam at fins approx.
- Mass: 31 megatonnes approx.
- Crew: 100,000 crew; approx.
- Accel: 2.4 gravities max sustainable acceleration.
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 109
- 2: Star of Damocles (Novel) by Andy Hoare, [Needs Citation], pgs. 218-[Needs Citation]
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign, [Needs Citation]
- 4: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, pg. 22