Due to its size and massive power requirements, plasma cannons tend to be found mainly on vehicles, but Space Marines are known to use them in their Devastator Squads. The "heavies" of some hive world gangs often make use of the plasma cannon. The weapon generates plasma which it fires as a glowing super-heated bolt of energy, which on hitting an object, reacts with its matter to produce spheres of boiling nuclear energy like miniature suns. For this reason they have the informal name of "sun gun".
The gun itself has a similar effect to the plasma gun, except this weapon does damage over a much larger area. Several individuals can be caught in one blast, making the plasma cannon a potent weapon. Unless hooked up to a vehicle's systems, a plasma cannon suffers from the usual overheating problems that plague other plasma weapons.
Known Patterns of Imperial Plasma Cannon
- Mk XII "Comet" pattern[4b]
- Mk XII Ryza pattern[4a]
- Mk XIII Pattern
- M31 Pattern - Used by Chaos Space Marines
- Sol Militaris "Helion Fire" Pattern: Duplex magnacore type; Terran manufactured, issued to Legiones Astartes during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- 1: Necromunda Rulebook, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear pg. 37
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition) pg. 45
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One
- 5: Codex: Space Wolves (5th Edition) pg. 59
- 6: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition) pg. 82
- 7: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition) pg. 101
- 8: The Horus Heresy Book Two - Massacre pg. 17
- 9: Eternal crusade Rogue Trader Store - Space Marines
|Melee Weapons||Chainsword • Chainfist • Combat Knife • Force weapon • Lightning Claw • Power axe • Power fist • Power sword • Power Maul • Thunder hammer|
|One-Handed Weapons||Bolt pistol • Hand flamer • Plasma pistol • Inferno Pistol • Graviton Pistol|
|Two-Handed Weapons||Bolter • Combi-weapon • Flamer • Meltagun • Plasma gun • Grav-gun • Shotgun • Sniper rifle • Storm bolter|
|Heavy Weapons||Assault cannon • Autocannon • Heavy bolter • Heavy flamer • Lascannon • Missile launcher • Multi-melta • Plasma cannon|
|Grenades||Frag grenade • Krak grenade • Melta bomb|