|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Sable Swords Chapter was created sometime after 926.M41 following the near-total destruction of the Astral Knights Chapter to stop the Necron World Engine on the outskirts of the Danorra System. Seven-hundred and seventy-two battle-brothers sacrificed themselves in the attempted suicide mission to silence the World Engine's weapon systems and were instrumental in allowing the Imperial fleet to tear the World Engine apart with repeated volleys of cyclonic torpedoes. The handful of Battle-Brothers who had not been present during the battle against the World Engine were too few to carry the burden of reconstitution. Another Chapter, the Sable Swords, was formed to fill the void and took up stewardship of the all-but abandoned Fortress Monastery.[2d][2f]
- 546.M32 (Canon Conflict) : The Sable Swords contribute to the Space Marine retribution force seeking to slay Drakan Vangorich, the rogue Grand Master of the Officio Assassinorum, following his assassination of all twelve High Lords of Terra. The Sable Swords fight alongside the Halo Brethren and the Imperial Fists. Chapter Master Qublicus Amar was killed by a Vindicare Assassin during the conflict, and only a single Astartes survives to execute Vangorich.
- M41: A series of decisive victories over the Tau Empire prove the Sable Swords the equal of more established Chapters.[2a]
- M41: The bulk of the Chapter fight against the Eldar Swordwind on Larical's Folly. This leaves their homeworld Obsidia vulnerable to an attack by the mutant horde of the Twisted Convocation. Obsidia is rescued by the intervention of the Novamarines, prompting the Sable Swords to swear an oath of eternal debt to their saviours.
- M41: Captain Noiran goes missing in a skirmish with Eldar pirates in the Augran Nebula. All evidence points to his survival, and by 998.M41 Codicier Sundic is still searching for the missing Captain.[2b]
- 954.M41: The Fall of Rogue's Spire[2f]
- 998.M41: Three companies carry out Exterminatus on the Necron-held world of Eldritch.[2b]
- 303999.M41 The Sable Swords contribute Tactical squads to the Zeist Campaign, fighting against the Tau on their staging post of Augura.[2c][2e]
- Qublicus Amar - Chapter Master during The Beheading
- Ethratan - Second Captain during The Beheading
- Daegan - Captain
Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)[2a] indicates the Sable Swords were founded in M41, but the Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook states they participated in the hunt for Vangorich in M32. Moreover it is stated in The Beheading (Novel) that they were formed in the Fourth Founding. It is possible that there have been two Chapters of the same name.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook, pg. 124
- 2: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pg. 118
- 4: Obsidian (Short Story) by Graham McNeill
- 5: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 89