Scythes of the Emperor
|Space Marines Portal|
Scythes of the Emperor
The Scythes of the Emperor (or Emperor's Scythes) are a Codex Astartes Space Marine Chapter. The armour of the Scythes of the Emperor is black and yellow - their symbol is crossed yellow scythes. The advance of Hive Fleet Kraken overwhelmed the Chapter's home world of Sotha and virtually destroyed the Chapter.
|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Corinth Crusade (698.M41 to 705.M41)
The Corinth Crusade was led by Marneus Calgar, with forces from the Ultramarines, Angels of Absolution. Lamenters, Silver Skulls, Scythes of the Emperor and Marines Errant as well as more than fifty Imperial Guard regiments. They fought against the Ork hordes of Waaagh! Skargor, in the Corinth system within the Ork empire of Charadon.
Damocles Gulf Crusade (745.M41)
The Scythes led the first landing onto Tau territory, the world of Sy'L'Kell. After establishing the landing zone. The Brimlock Dragoons moved on to expand the Imperial foothold. The Dragoons were nearly destroyed by a Tau ambush which the Scythes, leading Imperial Storm Troopers, broke through averting a near disaster.
After claiming Sy'L'Kell, the Crusade moved to cross the Damocles Gulf. After a brutal first fleet engagement with the Tau, the Imperials landed on the a major Tau world of Dal'Yth Prime. Joining members of the venerated Ultramarines and Iron Hands Chapters, the Scythes were part of several spearhead assaults and kept up constant night patrols against Tau infiltrators during the months long fighting.
With news of a Hivefleet Behemoth bearing down upon the Eastern fringe and the stalemate between the two sides, the Crusade withdrew, though a mutual respect between both sides had been forged.
Second Tyrannic War (992.M41)
Among the planets overwhelmed by the locust-tide of Tyranid hive fleet Kraken was the chapter's homeworld Sotha. Even for a well-defended Chapter planet, there was little hope against such vast numbers and relentless hunger, and in the end the Chapter brethren were killed in the last stand on the planet. All brethren were presumed destroyed, but a small number had escaped in order to preserve their chapter and gene-seed.
Sotha, along with so many other planets in the inexorable advance of the Kraken, was reduced to the state of an asteroid by the Tyranid swarms. Two hundred Marines broke through the Tyranid assault. With much of the region overwhelmed by the Tyranids, there was nowhere to escape. The last of the Scythes eventually landed on the death world of Miral. Somewhere on the surface of this planet, a huge rocky outcrop called the Giant's Coffin rose from the jungle. The surviving forces of the Scythes prepared to make this their final stronghold. The Giant's Coffin was a tremendous natural citadel whose steep cliffs would slow the invaders and the rocky promontories would provide excellent firing positions for heavy weapons.
Although the defenses of the Scythes were strong they were still overwhelmed. Their Chapter Master Thorcyra met his end on Miral and the Scythes were forced to withdraw. The fate of Miral is unknown, although little more than a Company of the Scythes of the Emperor escaped with their lives.
Captain Thrasius became the new Chapter Master and planned a series of hit and run attacks against the Tyranids. This pattern of defense and retreat continued until they received word that Hive Fleet Kraken's unstoppable advance had finally been staggered by the Ultramarines on Ichar IV. At that time, the Scythes were engaged in the preparation of defences on Bosphor, and were bitterly disappointed not to have been present when that first great victory was won.
- Chapter Master Thorcyra - Chapter Master before the fall of Sotha. Killed on the death world of Miral.
- Chapter Master Thrasius (also known as Thracian) - current Chapter Master, concerned with preserving and rebuilding his Chapter.
- Chaplain Segas - the Chapter's first Chaplain, whose remains were interred on the reliquary world of Egottha.
- Reclusiarch Hornindal - encountered a vanguard hivefleet while returning to Sotha after the general recall was given. His ship, the Xenophon, was subsequently lost.
- Chaplain Demetrios - followed Hornindal to Egottha. Lost along with the Xenophon.
- Forge Master Sebastion - highest ranking Techmarine after the fall of Sotha.
- Captain Theodosios - Captain of the Fifth Company, sent out to the Eastern Fringe before Hive Fleet Kraken was identified.
- Captain Romonos - Captain of the single 'Battle Company' after the fall of Sotha.
- Commander Cassios - Fifth Company officer who survived for three years onboard a Hive Ship, to be discovered by the 21st Salvation Team led by Sergeant Tiresias. Killed after returning to the same Hive Ship.
- Sergeant Certes - followed Hornindal to Egottha. Lost along with the Xenophon.
- Sergeant Edios - followed Hornindal to Egottha. Killed by xenos on board the Xenophon.
- Sergeant Hekaton - followed Hornindal to Egottha. Lost along with the Xenophon.
- Sergeant Remas - encountered the first hive ship to reach Sotha. His testimony aided Ultramarines Chaplain Cassius in the organisation of the Tyrannic War Veterans. 
- Sergeant Angeloi - originally Tiresias's superior, later assigned to the Deathwatch by Thrasius. Completed his tour and requested discharge afterwards.
- Sergeant Tiresias - leader of the 21st Salvation Team. Survived the fall of Sotha and the battle at Giant's Coffin, but was killed on board a Tyranid Hive Ship.
- Sergeant Quintos - leader of the 121st Salvation Team. He recovered the body of Sergeant Tiresias along with his gene-seed and that of Commander Cassios.
- Brother Mascios - member of Sergeant Hekaton's squad, killed by Tyranid creatures aboard the Xenophon.
- Brother Harvan - member of Remas's squad, killed in the boarding action.
- Brother Tobias - member of Remas's squad, the only other survivor.
- Brother Domitios - saved by Tiresias during the fighting on Tan.
- Brother Hadrios - accompanied Thrasius when he left the Chapter to plan for the future, and served as his lieutenant.
- Neophyte Narro - member of the 21st Salvation Team. Killed on board a Tyranid Hive Ship.
- Neophyte Hwygir (or Culmonios) - member of the 21st Salvation Team. Killed on board a Tyranid Hive Ship.
- Neophyte Vitellios - member of the 21st Salvation Team. Killed on board a Tyranid Hive Ship.
- Neophyte Pasan - member of the 21st Salvation Team. Killed on board a Tyranid Hive Ship.
- Vosok Dall - turned renegade and swore allegiance to Khorne; killed on New Badab by Honsou of the Iron Warriors;
- Shipmaster Kaeron - commanding officer aboard the Xenophon. Lost along with the ship.
- Leviton Goss - Sub-lieutenant aboard the Xenophon. Lost along with the ship.
- Serf-sergeant Milus Ogden - chief security officer aboard the Xenophon. Killed by Tyranids during a boarding action.
- Tyek - security officer aboard the Xenophon. Killed during a ship-to-ship collision.
- Gricole - senior retainer under Sergeant Tiresias.
- The Heart of Sotha (also known as the Heart of Cronus) - last flagship of the Chapter after the battle at Giant's Coffin.
- The Xenophon - a Hunter-class Destroyer, destroyed before the fall of Sotha.
- 1: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 88 listed under Codex Chapters
- 2: Codex: Tyranids (4th Edition), pg. 14
- 3: White Dwarf 218 (UK), pg. 80 The Coming of the Great Devourer by Warwick Kinrade
- 4: uk.games-workshopg.com/tau/farsight-enclaves/ Farsight Enclaves[Needs Citation]
- 5: Orphans of the Kraken (Short Story) by Richard Williams
- 6: The Shadow of the Beast (Short Story) by Laurie Goulding
- 7: White Dwarf 306 (UK), pg. 52 Index Astartes: Purge the Alien
- 8: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pgs. 76-77
- 9: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), [Needs Citation], iPad app version, retrieved 23rd July 2012
- 10: Last Watch (Short Story) by Laurie Goulding
- 11: The Skull Harvest (Short Story) by Graham McNeill
- White Dwarf #264 (UK), pg. 96 Index Xenos: The Kroot