Chaos Lords are the leaders of many Chaos Space Marine forces.
Chaos Lords are not necessarily those who rose through the ranks properly in a hierarchical fashion, but are often those most blessed by the Chaos Gods or simply the most powerful or charismatic. The greatest Chaos Champions become Chaos Lords and are often granted with mutations and alterations by the gods to further their cause. Chaos Lords are so powerful as to be able to bind the forces of Chaos to their will, although this often brings a dangerous position as advancement is commonly achieved through killing their leader. Some Lords lead through brute strength, others through cunning and some are maniacs bent on self-aggrandizement. Others are truly worshipers of Chaos with a zealous dedication to the dark gods.
Champions often come with a mark of one of the four Chaos Gods. Champions of Khorne are savage and value physical strength and combat over cunning and strategy. Tzeentchian champions are often very knowledgeable and many of them are sorcerers. Champions of Nurgle are the most distorted and physically corrupted of Chaos' followers, their bodies dulled from pain enabling them to endure physical injury with little trauma. Slaaneshi champions are often those who seek the most intense pleasures possible and are often physically the fastest Chaos warriors due to their hyper-sensitive minds.
- Lord of Contagion - Chaos Lords of the Death Guard
- Plaguelord - Chaos Lords of the Death Guard
- Sorcerer Lord
Notable Chaos Lords
- Abaddon the Despoiler - Warmaster of Chaos
- Ahriman - Lord of the Prodigal Sons warband of Thousand Sons
- Araghast - of the Black Legion
- Bale - of the Alpha Legion
- Eidolon - Lord of the Phoenix Conclave of the Emperor's Children
- Eliphas - of the Word Bearers
- Erebus - of the Word Bearers
- Fabius Bile - Leader of the Consortium
- Honsou - Leads the Bloodborn faction of the Iron Warriors
- Huron Blackheart - Chaos Lord of the Red Corsairs
- Kharn the Betrayer - Leads the Butcherhorde
- Kossolax the Foresworn - of the World Eaters
- Kranon the Relentless - Lord of the Crimson Slaughter
- Lucius the Eternal - Leader of the Cohors Nasicae warband of Emperor's Children
- Marduk - Lord of the 34th Host of the Word Bearers
- Shon'tu - of the Iron Warriors
- Talos Valcoran - of the Night Lords
- Thagus Daravek - of the Death Guard, Lord of the Legion Host
- Typhus - Lord of the Plague Fleet of the Death Guard
Since 4th Edition however, Sorcerers play a role in a Chaos warband more analogous to a Librarian in a group of Space Marines. Sorcerer Lords are Chaos Lords with psychic powers, and are often followers of Tzeentch.
- 1: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 21
- 4: Crusade (Novella), Chapter 2