Spheres of Expansion
- The First Sphere of Expansion (502.M37-936.M38)[1b] was launched from T'au and lasted roughly a millennium for the Tau. It was a period of unprecedented growth that saw eight fully settled Septs established as well as the assimilation of new races such as the Kroot.[1a]
- The Second Sphere of Expansion (018.M39 - ~700.M41)[1b] was launched by Aun'Wei across previously unreachable regions of space and saw Commander Puretide score a wide range of victories. It came to the end when the Tau crossed the Damocles Gulf and reached the borders of the Imperium.[1a]
- The Third Sphere of Expansion (997.M41 - ~999.M41)[1b] was launched by Aun'va shortly after the Great War of Confederation. Led by Commander Shadowsun, it drove deep into eastern Imperial territory[1a] before being largely halted due to heavy Imperial counterattacks on the Damocles Gulf
- The Fourth Sphere of Expansion (999.M41) was launched shortly after the Third, but was lost due to the formation of the Great Rift.
- The Fifth Sphere of Expansion (~M42-Present) was launched at the heels of the ill-fated Fourth and is the current Tau campaign of expansion.
- 1: Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition Rulebook pg.134