The Storm Shield is a powered shield used by Space Marines, Daemonhunters and the Adeptus Custodes. It is a more advanced and bulky version of the Combat Shield, providing better defence. However it is also much larger and must be grasped with the user's hand, unlike a combat shield, which allows the use of two weapons.
The shield is often shaped like the Crux Terminatus, although variant shield designs do exist, and is powered by a generator in the user's Power armour or Terminator Armour. When the generator is activated the shield shimmers with blue energy and when struck it emits crackling lightning, which gives it its name. It is often paired with a Thunder Hammer. The shield is effective against both melee and against ranged attacks and able to withstand the might of a lascannon or even super-heavy weaponry.
The Imperial Fists are noted to have a superior design of storm shield known as the Vigil Pattern. Vigil Pattern Stormshields incorporate potent field generators and were first put into service during the Ullanor Crusade.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Battle Manual (reprinted in Warhammer 40,000: Wargear), [Needs Citation]
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Compilation, [Needs Citation]
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 4: The Horus Heresy Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions pg.24
- 5: The Horus Heresy: Burning of Prospero - Adeptus Custodes Wargear