|Map||Basic Data||Planetary Image|
|Class:||Civilised World/Desert World|
When Tallarn was first discovered by Imperial settlers in the 29th Millennium it was classified as a verdant agri world. However, around the time of the Horus Heresy, the rebel Iron Warriors legion--intending to destroy all potential resistance before landing--virus-bombed the planet from space, rendering it an inhospitable desert. Only then did the Chaos Space Marines land. Tallarn's few survivors emerged from their underground bunkers to stop the Iron Warriors' invasion.
Soon, reinforcements from both sides arrived. It became clear to the Imperial forces the futility of fighting over a destroyed planet but by then there was no turning back. Although it could not be guessed at the time, the Chaos legion were motivated beyond mere destruction. Since the poisoned environment made it impossible for infantry to operate outside of protective shelter, the only available option of battle was that of armored tank warfare. The largest tank battle in human history erupted on the surface of Tallarn. By the end of it, the Iron Warriors were defeated, and the wreckage of over a million tanks littered the sands.
Approximately twenty years after this, the official Tallarn Desert Raiders military force was formed. These regiments specialised in desert fighting, and were highly adept at ambushing enemy forces in the desert. The Tallarn Desert Raiders continued their attack on various worlds which had turned to Chaos until sometime around the 30th Millennium, when they were recalled.
In 100.M32, the "Cursus of Alganar," a Chaos relic of black stone which had led the Iron Warriors to the world was discovered deep under the desert sands. Immediately after finding this relic both Eldar of the Biel-tan craftworld and Iron Warriors spilled from the sky once more, to attempt to claim this relic. After months of fighting, the Eldar and Tallarn Desert Raiders formed an alliance and destroyed the Chaos forces. After their combined victory over the Chaos hordes, both races exchanged their promises of friendship, before the Eldar departed in peace. The Tallarn re-entombed the Chaos relic beneath the sulphur sands and turned their backs on it.
Tallarn population is divided into many tribes, united in tribal alliances. These alliances don't always live in peace and are known to engage in conflicts. Known tribal alliances include:
- Doraha - One of the two greatest alliances
- Makaal - One of the two greatest alliances. Doraha and Makaal were once locked in a conflict, that nearly resulted in civil war and was only stopped with the intervention of an individual, known as the Oracle.
- Hawadi - Alliance of teachers and scholars, is serves Tallarn Desert Raiders regiments as support staff
- This tribal alliance is known to consist of 87 tribes
- D'Shauf - Chief tribe of the alliance
- Banna - This alliance is known to have conflicts with Ture-nag, based on religious disputes, with Ture-nag distrusting Banna's beleifs in Oracle as Emperor's prophet
As a Desert World, Tallarn is cowered with a vast swathes of sand after the virus-bombing. Underneath it lies a vast network of underground tunnels, connecting planet settlements. Known settlements include:
- Dasra City
People of Tallarn speak various languages, known as Cants. There is a High Cant, used as a language of nobles and four battle-cants, among many others.
- 1: Desert Raiders (Novel) by Lucien Soulban, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Games Workshop
- 3: The Imperial Archives
- 4: Codex: Chaos Daemons (6th Edition), pg. 33