Tales from the Dark Millennium (Anthology)
Tales from the Dark Millennium is a compilation of short stories set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe edited by Christian Dunn and Marc Gascoigne. It was first published in 2006 by the Black Library. It is based on the card game Dark Millennium by Sabertooth Games.
The Falls of Marakross
An uprising of heretic cultists on the world of Cordassa brings the Dark Angels Chapter of Space Marines to the world. But is their mission to help the beleaguered defenders of the troubled planet, or do they have their own agenda? Only Interrogator-Chaplain Artemius knows, though Inquisitor Mattius Heiron has his suspicions, and will go to any lengths to learn the truth. by Steve Parker
Seven days ago, the Eldar descended upon Orphean Trine. The Swordwind of Craftworld Biel-Tan has swept all before it, with just a single city remaining intact. As the defenders, bolstered by Space Marines of the Dark Angels, prepare to sell their lives dearly in a last stand, a single hope remains: Nyjia, a lone Vindicare Assassin, who waits to get that one, vital, shot. by C.S. Goto
The holy warrior-brothers of the Grey Knights escort an inquisitor to the Zhadanok prison complex on Orina Septimus. There, surrounded by the acid-oceans of that dying world, resides a prisoner of inestimable value – a prisoner whose knowledge stretches across ten millennia, a prisoner who is a greater threat than everyone else in the complex combined. His name... Erebus. by Graham McNeill
- By Dan Abnett
A peculiar manhunt is taking place on the world of Cauldrus Prime, not in the least so because it's less of a manhunt and more of a Sisterhunt.
Cauldrus Prime, an Imperial world. Kaerograd, a city of some importance and Namgorod, a ruined city where much of the action takes place.
- Lowen Tegget - A "Catcher of Men", or bounty-hunter. Equipped with an all-terrain bike, psyber-lures and a hunting las.
- Pavlov Curtz - Regent of Kaerograd. Despatches Tegget on the hunt and communicates the news that an apparent Battle Sister is causing mass-killings on the world.
- Canoness Olga Karamanz - Order of Our Martyred Lady. Killed with a blade.
- Sister Elias - Armed with a storm-bolter. Killed by flame and las-shot.
- Sister Bernadet - Armed with power sword and flamer; killed by a psyber-lure.
- Sister-Superior Miriael Sabathiel - ex-Sister of the order, captured and then released by the Emperor's Children and believed to be corrupted. The target of the manhunt. Captures and twists Tegget to her service and ensures the death of the trio of Sisters looking for her. Departs, with Tegget in tow, to hunt Eldar. The only known member of the Adepta Sororitas to have fallen to Chaos, her existence as a traitor is kept secret.
A Balance of Faith
On Hyrus Secundus, the dread forces of the Word Bearers Chaos Space Marines bring death and despair to all who encounter them. As Sister Hospitaller and the remnants of the Hyrusian regiment of the Imperial Guard hold back the attackers, buying time to evacuate the remaining civilians, salvation arrives in the form of a single Dark Angels Space Marine. by Darren-Jon Ashmore
Gate of Souls
The bleak but mineral-rich world of Dirge is home to a deadly secret. Prospectors are dying in droves, but Imperial Guard Colonel Ravin cannot figure out how... until Inquisitor Santos arrives and delivers dread news. The forces of Chaos are descending upon the world, in search of an ancient artefact that is the cause of the planet’s woes... and may doom them all. by Mike Lee
Fate's Masters, Destiny's Servants
Ultramarines Captain Elogos follows a strange distress signal that seems to have been sent by a member of his Chapter. Tracking it to a distant world that no Ultramarines have ever visited, he finds a primitive fortress that bears all the hallmarks of the Adeptus Astartes. As they unravel the secret of the world, Elogos and his men realize that their destiny may lie on Elysius. by Matt Keefe
Tears of Blood
As war engulfs the Perdus Reach sector, a strange destiny entwines Master Kalidian Axryus of the Dark Angels Space Marines and the Eldar of Craftworld Kaelor. As they clash in battle, the seers of Kaelor realize that only the Dark Angels stand between them and horrific demise at the hands of servants of the Dark Gods. by C.S. Goto