Time of Ending
|Age of the Imperium||Age of Rebirth - The Forging - Nova Terra Interregnum - Age of Apostasy - Age of Redemption - The Waning - Time of Ending|
The term was first coined in 744.M41, by Taggarath, the Seer of Corrinto, who predicted a time of upheaval in which both the Imperium and the Light of the Emperor would be swallowed by an approaching darkness. He was eventually executed for heresy.[1b]
The Tyranids, as well as other threats such as the Necrons which rose in the subsequent years, made it apparent that the galaxy was turning into an even more dangerous place, challenging the millennia-old belief of the Imperium's perpetuity.
The Time of Ending is also a time in which young, upstart alien races are able to establish their own fledging realms in the galaxy. The Draxian Hegemony, the Tau Empire, the Worldweave of Noisome Reek, the Uluméathic League and numerous others have prospered, ready to stand their ground against the besieged Imperium of Man.[1a]
- 745.M41: Hive Fleet Behemoth arrives in the galaxy. The First Tyrannic War.
- 897.M41: First contact with the Necrons
- 990.M41: Hive Fleet Kraken arrives in the galaxy. Second Tyrannic War.
- 997.M41 onwards: Hive Fleet Leviathan arrives in the galaxy. The Third Tyrannic War.
- 998.M41 onwards: The 3rd War for Armageddon
- 999.M41: As the light of the Astronomican grows dimmer, Techpriests discover irreparable failures in the Golden Throne[1b]. Desperate, the Tech-Priests and Radical Inquisitors journey into the Webway and strike a dark bargain with Commorragh.
- 999.M41: The Wulfen Return and Fenris is besieged. Magnus returns and The Planet of the Sorcerers is moved over Prospero.
- 999.M41: The Ynnari form to resurrect Ynnead and destroy Slaanesh. Biel-Tan is devastated by the birth of Yncarne and a Daemonic invasion while Commorragh is besieged by a great Dysjunction.
- 999.M41 onwards: The 13th Black Crusade's encroachment on Terra and the rumored return of the Daemon Primarchs at the helm of Chaos forces. Cadia is eventually destroyed by Abaddon.
- The Ultramar Campaign and Terran Crusade see the Primarch Roboute Guilliman resurrected as he takes commander of the Imperium once more. This action attracts the gaze of the Chaos Gods, and the entire Warp is thrown into a turmoil on a level unseen since the Age of Strife, creating the Great Rift.
- The Blackness - The formation of the Great Rift renders Warp Travel and Astropathic communication nigh-impossible for a period. Much of the Imperium is cut off and overrun by the Forces of Chaos.
- Roboute Guilliman launches the Indomitus Crusade to reclaim the worlds lost within the Dark Imperium. The Crusade continues into early M42, and it is unknown if the Time of Ending is still considered to be the present era.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook
- 2: Warhammer 40,000 Design Notes (site accessed 2009.01.05)
- 3: Codex: Necrons (3rd Edition), pg. 11
- 4: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition) pg. 22
- 5: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 25
- 6: Codex: Cult Mechanicus (7th Edition) - The Quest for Knowledge
- 7: War Zone Fenris: Wrath of Magnus
- 8: Gathering Storm: Fall of Cadia
- 9: Gathering Storm: Fracture of Biel-Tan
- 10: Gathering Storm: Rise of the Primarch
- 11: Dark Imperium (Novel)
- !2: Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition Rulebook pg.50