Vanguard Class Light Cruiser
Vanguard Cruisers are normally refitted Strike Cruisers rather than purpose-built. They have improved thrusters and defensive turrets, but this comes at the expense of weaker offensive weaponry so Vanguards are less capable in a planetary assault role. As a result, Vanguards are used as scouting vessels operating independently or as heavy escorts as part of a large Space Marine fleet.
The Vanguard Light Cruiser comes in three main patterns:
- Mk.I — Armed with Torpedo launchers, Macrocannons, and launch bays for Attack Craft.
- Mk.II — Armed with Lances, Macrocannons, and Attack Craft launch bays.
- Mk.III — Armed with a single Bombardment Cannon, Macrocannons, and Attack Craft Launch Bays.
Known Vanguard Light Cruisers
|Chapter||Vessel||Noteworthy Actions||Current Status|
|Fire Hawks||Red Harbinger||Crippled and then captured by the Mantis Warriors in 350 904.M41, leading to the Badab War.||Unknown|
|Salamanders||Obsidia [2a]||Fought in the Badab War.||Unknown|
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two pg. 46
- 3: Battlefleet Gothic Armada, pg. 23
|Vessels of the Space Marine Fleet|
|Capital Ships||Battleships||Battle Barge|
|Cruisers||Strike Cruiser • Vanguard|
|Escorts||Gladius • Nova • Hunter • Rapid Strike vessel|
|Attack Craft||Thunderhawk • Stormraven • Storm Talon • Storm Eagle • Caestus Assault Ram • Fire Raptor|
• Nephilim • Stormhawk • Dark Talon • Stormfang • Stormwolf • Corvus Blackstar • Overlord
|Transports||Drop Pod • Landing Craft|
|Rare & Retired||Stormbird • Wrath • Xiphon • Dreadclaw • Kharybdis Assault Claw|