He'stan was originally the Captain of the 4th company and served in that role for a century. The Chapter Council then called him to set aside his duties as captain and become the Forgefather. As he let go of his old duties, he also received a new name; Vulkan He'stan. As a result, he lost his original name.
As Forgefather, He'stan has worked his way from system to system in search of the nine artefacts of Vulkan, his only clues coming from the Tome of Fire, which is extremely difficult to interpret, let alone put into use. Instead of calling solely on members of the fourth company, He'stan can call on any number of Salamanders to aid him in his quest. The Salamanders are more than happy to cleanse an area of a world on a rumour that a piece of their history is there.
He'stan accompanied Praetor and the Firedrakes when they went in pursuit and rescue of Chaplain Elysius, to retrieve Vulkan's Sigil. During this time they battled the Dark Eldar and had to infiltrate the webway and a Dark Eldar city, where it was revealed that the Forgefather knew the language of the enemy.[2b]
He'stan carries three of the nine relics left behind by his namesake and Primarch:
- The Spear of Vulkan, which can burn ceramite. He'stan often throws the Spear, enabling the strength of the weapon to be used at range.[2a]
- Kesare's Mantle, a legendary drakescale cloak, granting He'stan extra protection due to its strength.
- The Gauntlet of the Forge, an armoured gauntlet that is also a heavy flamer.
- 1: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition) Page 93
- 2: Firedrake (Novel) by Nick Kyme