Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
|Followed by||Warhammer 40,000 (2nd Edition)|
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, sometimes just referred to as Rogue Trader, was the first core rule book for the Warhammer 40,000 game.
The first rule book for the Warhammer 40,000 game, Rogue Trader was published in 1987 and written by Rick Priestley, and was quite different to future versions of the game. Largely a cross between Role Playing Games and Table Top Battle Games, rather than an out and out Table Top Battle Game, Rogue Trader contained much more background on the wider universe, races and technology found in the Warhammer 40k universe than later editions did, and for this reason is considered a prized collectors' piece.
The book is considered much less imperio-centric than later editions, as it employed a much broader spectrum of views within the narration than was common in future versions and proactively encouraged mixed faction forces.
Rogue Trader had six sections-
- Rules for combat
- A scenario featuring Crimson Fist space marines against Orks on Rynn's World
- A section detailing equipment
- A section on the backround
- Special rules for advanced gamers
- A summary including all of the charts in the book.
Authors, Artists and Staff
During the production of this book, the following persons were involved considerably.
- Author - Rick Priestley
- Editing - Jim Bambra and Paul Cockburn
- Additional Material - Bryan Ansell, Jim Bambra, Nick Bibby, John Blanche, Jes Goodwin, Alan Merrett, Aly Morrison, Trish Morrison and Bob Naismith
- Proofing - Mike Brunton and Lyndsey De Le Doux Paton
- Cover Art - John Sibbick
- Graphic Design - Charles Elliott
- Internal Illustration - Tony Ackland, Dave Andrews, John Blanche, Carl Critchlow, Colin Dixon, Angus Fieldhouse, Dave Gallagher, Jes Goodwin, Tony Hough, Pete Knifton, Martin McKenna, Aly Morrison, Trish Morrison, Bob Naismith, Wil Rees and Stephen Tappin
- Photography - John Blanche, Phil Lewis and Rick Priestley
- Logo - Charles Elliott and John Timms
- Maps and Technical Drawings - Charles Elliot and 'H'
- Miniatures Design - Kevin Adams, Nick Bibby, Mark Copplestone, Jes Goodwin, Aly Morrison, Trish Morrison, Bob Naismith, Bob Olley, Mike Perry and Alan Perry
- Models and Dioramas - Dave Andrews, John Ellard and Sid
- Land Raider Model - Dave Andrews
- Miniatures Painting - Dave Andrews, Bruce Atley, Nick Bibby, John Blanche, Colin Dixon, Mike McVey, Aly Morrison, Andy Pritchard and Sid
- Additional Concepts - Tony Ackland, Dave Andrews, Bryan Ansell, Nick Bibby, John Blanche, Charles Elliott, Jes Goodwin, Alan Merrett, Aly Morrison, Trish Morrison and Bob Naismith
- Space Marines Original Model Designs - Bob Naismith
Many fans, and several places here at Lexicanum, often affectionately refer to stuff (lore, pictures, game mechanics, models etc.) that came from this time period as the "Rogue Trader Era", rather than "1st Edition".