Angels of Vigilance
The Angels of Vigilance are Space Marine Chapter suspected to be of the Second Founding, although they are not listed in the Apocrypha of Davio, and of unknown gene-seed origin.
They are known to have a strong monastic nature and unflinching devotion to duty. This demeanour, combined with Imperial histories telling that during the Great Scouring did members of the Dark Angels Legion launched a campaign against the ruling castes of Pervigilium, the Angels of Vigilance's future homeworld, have created speculations that they are of Dark Angels linage.
Their Fortress Monastery is a huge orbital dock around the world Pervigilium, just outside the Cadian Gate. The Angels of Vigilance are especially good at fighting the forces of Chaos as they tend to encounter them during every Black Crusade, which traditionally enters Imperial territory through the Gate. Also, due to their proximity to the Eye of Terror, whenever the Cadian Gate becalms, they can be seen in their ships, moving into the Eye to fight the forces of Chaos in their own territory.
Never has the entire chapter been called to war, as each Marine swears an oath never to leave the Fortress Monastery undefended, and each time the chapter is called up, at least one company remains behind. Several times their Chapter Master has failed to heed the calls of the High Lords of Terra, and their loyalty has been called into question by some quarters.
Notable battles and campaigns
- The Angels of Vigilance are one of only four chapters to have served in both the Third War for Armageddon and against the Thirteenth Black Crusade
- Third War for Armageddon: The Angels of Vigilance committed 6 companies.
- 13th Black Crusade: The Angels of Vigilance committed 5 companies.
- 1: Angels of Vigilance Armageddon Website (saved archive page, dated Aug 2006, last accessed 2 September 2015)
- 2: Codex: Armageddon (3rd Edition), pg. 32
- 3: Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition), pg. 16