Difference between revisions of "Space Marines"
(→Daily Rituals of a Space Marine)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
The Space Marines are superhuman warriors, genetically engineered to be better in every way than a normal human, equipped with the finest weapons the [[Imperium]] can provide and with an unfaltering loyalty to [[
The Space Marines are superhuman warriors, genetically engineered to be better in every way than a normal human, equipped with the finest weapons the [[Imperium]] can provide and with an unfaltering loyalty to [[Emperor]]. The Space Marines are divided into Chapters, each Chapter has its own unique heraldy and traditions. Most Chapters follow the [[Codex Astartes]] however not all do, notable exceptions are the [[Blood Angels]], [[Space Wolves]] and [[Dark Angels]].
==Creating a Space Marine==
==Creating a Space Marine==
Revision as of 00:54, 24 June 2005
The Space Marines are superhuman warriors, genetically engineered to be better in every way than a normal human, equipped with the finest weapons the Imperium can provide and with an unfaltering loyalty to the Emperor. The Space Marines are divided into Chapters, each Chapter has its own unique heraldy and traditions. Most Chapters follow the Codex Astartes however not all do, notable exceptions are the Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels.
Creating a Space Marine
The creation of a Space Marine requires two things, a young (pre teen) healthy recruit and a sample of the Chapter's gene-seed. Because a Chapter's gene-seed blongs to that Chapter alone different Chapters display different characteristics and implants. However listed below is the most common transition from human to superhuman (using the Ultramarines gene-seed.
Phase 1 - Secondary Heart- This implant allows a Space Marine to survive his other heart being damaged or detroyed, and to survive in low oxygen enviroments
Phase 2 - Ossmodula - This organ alters the way the Space Marine's bones grow and develop. Two years after this implant is first put in the subjects long bones will have increassed in size (along with most other bones) and the fusing of the rib cage into a solid mass of bone.
Phase 3 - Biscopea - Inserted into the chest cavity this organ stimulates muscle growth.
Phase 4 - Haemastamen - Implanted into the main circulatory system this implant increases the haemoglobin content of the subjects blood, making it more efficient at carrying oxygen around the body and making the subject's blood a bright red.
Phase 5 - Larraman's Organ - This implant causes the subjects blood to form a kind of scar tissue on contact with air, cauterising any wounds the Space Marine may suffer.
Phase 6 - Catalepsean Node - Implanted into the brain this implant allows a Space Marine to rest parts of his brain whilst awake, this means that a Space Marine needs no more than 4 hours of sleep a day, and can go for 2 weeks without any sleep at all.
Phase 7 - Preomnor - This is essentially an extra stomach that can digest (more accurately process) otherwise poisonous or indegestible foods.
Phase 8 - Omophagea - This implant allows a Space Marine to 'learn by eating', by consuming the flesh of an animal the Space Marine can gain some of the creatures memories.
Phase 9 - Multi-lung - This additional lung allows a Space Marine to breathe in low-oxygen or poisoned atmospheres, and even water.
Phase 10 - Occulobe - This implant allows the Apocthecaries to adjust the sensitivity of the eye, the net result being that Space Marines have superior vision.
Phase 11 - Lyman's Ear - Not only does this implant make a Space Marine immune from dizzyness or motion sickness but also allows Space Marines to filter out and enhance certain sounds.
Phase 12 - Sus-an Membrane - With sufficient training a Space Marine can use this implant to enter a state of suspended animation, keeping the Marine alive for years, even if he has suffered mortal wounds.
Phase 13 - Melanochrome - This implant allows a Space Marine to control the amount of melanin in his skin, exposure sunlight will result in the Marine's skin changing the melanin levels to the appropriate levels, changing the Marine's skin colour.
Phase 14 - Oolitic Kidney - In conjunction with the secondary heart this implant allows a Space Marine to filter his blood very quickly, rendering him immune to most poisons.
Phase 15 - Neuroglottis - This enhances a Space Marine's sense of taste to such a high degree that he can identify many common chemicals by taste alone.
Phase 16 - Mucranoid - This implant allows a Space Marine to sweat a substance that coats the skin and offers resistance to extreme cold. This can only be activated by outside treatment, and is common when Space Marines are expected to be fighting in vacuum
Phase 17 - Betcher's Gland - This allows a Space Marine to spit poisonous acid.
Phase 19 - Black Carapace - This is a kind of inner skin that allows a Space Marine to interface directly with his power armour and use all of the additional features on the armour, such as medical information.
Daily Rituals of a Space Marine
- 0500 - Morning Firing Rites - The Space Marines engage in target practice with their personal and squad weaponry.
- 0700 - Battle Practice - Generally this is close quaters orientated, however live fire or hazerdous enviroment training may be done instead (or as well).
- 1200 - Midday Prayer - In addition to prayer any injured Space Marines can report to the Apothecary.
- 1300 - Midday Meal - Normally local wildlife killed during the moring activities.
- 1315 - Tactical Indoctination - This can take many forms, from information on a new alien species or technology to strategy. A debrief of the morning's battle is common as well.
- 1500 - Battle Practice - This focuses more on combined tactics than the morning session and may include a trial of a new tactic introduced during the tactical indoctrination.
- 2000 - Evening Prayer - In addition to prayer gene-seed testing may occur at this point.
- 2100 - Evening Meal - A feast (by normal human standards) is provided by the Chapter serfs, some Chapter Masters may allow alcohol to be consumed.
- 2130 - Night Firing Exercises - If there is no 'night' where the Space Marines currently are other training is udertaken, for instance zero-gravity combat.
- 2315 - Maintenance Rituals - Each Space Marine is expected to maintain his own power armour and weapons, and it is often checked by the Chapter's Techmarines
- 2345 - Free Time - Space Marines are permitted this time to reflect upon their duty to The Emperor, however many Chapter Masters regard free time as a frivalous waste.
- 0000 - Rest Period - Space Marines are allocated 4 hours in which to sleep.