|This article is about the the Dark Eldar Title. For other uses of Archon, see Archon (disambiguation).|
|Part of a series on the:|
Dark Eldar Kabal Hierarchy
An Archon is the highest ranking member of a Dark Eldar Kabal and the ruling nobles of Commorragh. They are considered the single most powerful, ruthless, and cunning member of their Kabal, due to the fact that if there existed anyone who held greater ability in these aspects, they would no doubt kill their Archon and claim their title.[Needs Citation]
Indeed, the singular power Archons hold over the members of their Kabal make the title incredibly appealing to subordinates, and assassination attempts are not only common, but frequent. The average Archon suffers dozens of assassination attempts before finally succumbing, and some have maintained their position even after well over three hundred attempts on their life.[Needs Citation]
Despite the elaborate network of allegiances within the Dark City, the Overlords of the Kabals run rings around those who seek to beat them at their deadly game. The endless ambition of their underlings keeps their paranoia razor-sharp, and hence it is at the business of treachery that the Archons truly excel. These strategies have been known to play out for millennia. Some of the Lords of Twilight, who govern from the highest spires of Commorragh, even claim to have seized their thrones in the times before the Fall of the Eldar. These elder Archons look down upon their younger kid, and do not suffer fools gladly. Notoriously prideful, a single syllable out of place may rouse an Archon’s deadly wrath, and in matters of Kabal hierarchy, Archons will seek solutions that work to the detriment of all other parties purely out of spite. However revelling in such dark depths has exacted its price. Kept alive for millennia through the torment of others, it now takes a true atrocity to invigorate them. . Thousands of slaves are sacrificed before the oldest Archons each night, and still this might not be enough to grant them a youthful sheen. Hence, elder Archons sometimes cover their black-veined visages with masks. Some are stylized and beautiful, some fashioned from the flayed faces of rivals.
Archons have access to the most powerful weapons, equipment, and artefacts available to their Kabal, and as such are frequently seen using amazingly advanced technologies when they deem it necessary to appear on the field of battle (although some arcane items of Haemonculi or Incubi are restricted even from the archons, as powerful as they are).[Needs Citation]
Every Archon carries a splinter pistol, though some may carry more powerful Darklight Weaponry such as a Blast pistol or even a blaster. Some archons, preferring close combat, may boost themselves with combat drugs more commonly used by wyches. They also may carry many kind of blades like djin-, husk- or just common powerblades. Whips such as the agoniser and Electrocorrosive Whip are also popular.[Needs Citation]
Archons, like the vast majority of Dark Eldar, feel that speed and dexterity are more than a replacement for defence, and wear only a light pressurised neuro-responsive body armour, allowing them to traverse vacuum when necessary and shrug off most civilian arms fire. Their suits, however, are usually covered in trophies and ornate fixtures that are better representative of their lofty position within the Kabals. Nowadays archons may also possess lightweight Ghostplate Armour which also incorporates minor forcefield technology.[Needs Citation]
More rare protective gear is also being used by archons. The very rare Shadow Field provides the best protection of all Dark Eldar technology. There is also the strange clone fields used by some archons.[Needs Citation]
Archons are almost always seen with a retinue in the field, and this retinue is usually the same group of Warriors or Incubi that work as bodyguards when in Commorragh, protecting the Archon and his palace from would be assassins or rival Kabals. An Archon's retinue can also include more exotic members such as Medusae, Lhamaean, Sslyth or Ur-Ghul.[1a]
- Aestra Khromys — Archon of the Kabal of the Obsidian Rose.
- Aez'ashya — Archon of the Kabal of the Blades of Desire.[12b][13b]
- Akhara'Keth — Archon of the Kabal of the Bloodied Claw.[Needs Citation]
- Andross Klax
- Asdrubael Vect — Supreme Lord of the Kabal of the Black Heart.[1e]
- Aurelia Malys — Archon of the Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue.[1f]
- Axhyrian — Former Archon of the Kabal of the Soul Cutters.[12c]
- Bezieth — Archon of the Kabal of the Soul Cutters.[12b]
- El'uriaq — The tyrant of Shaa-Dom.[2a]
- Iruthyr Xynariis — Archon of the Kabal of the Forked Tongue. Killed.
- Kraillach — Archon of the Kabal of the Realm Eternal.[2b][12a]
- Melivaq — Archon of the Kabal of the Splintered Claw.
- Naxipael — Archon of the Kabal of the Venom Brood.[12b]
- Nyos Yllithian — Archon of the Kabal of the White Flames.[2a]
- S'aronai Ariensis — Archon of the Kabal of the Severed.[1c]
- Salaine Morn — Female Archon of the Kabal of the Shadowed Thorns.
- Skalorix — female Archon of the Kabal of the Pierced Eye.
- Surasis Grief — Archon of the Kabal of the Dark Mirror.
- Thysk — Archon of the Kabal of the Bloody Storm.
- Valossian Sythrac — Archon of the Kabal of the Black Heart.[13a]
- Vhigis — Archon of the Kabal of the Flayed Mask.
- Vorl-Xoelanth — Archon of the Kabal of the Dying Sun.[1b]
- Vraesque — Archon of the Kabal of the Flayed Skull.[6a]
- Xelian — Archon of the Kabal of the Blades of Desire.[2b][12a][13c]
- Xerathis — Archon of the Kabal of the Broken Sigil.[6b]
- The Pale Marquis of Th'renn
Archon (7th Edition)
- 1: Codex: Dark Eldar (5th Edition)
- 2: Path of the Renegade (Novel)
- 3: Iyanden: A Codex: Eldar Supplement (E-Book): "Iyanden's Rise and Fall"
- 4: Games-Workshop Dark Eldar Archon (last accessed 18 March 2015)
- 5: Path of the Archon (Novel) by Andy Chambers, pg. 18
- 6: Codex: Dark Eldar (7th Edition)
- 7: FFG Teaser to the "Boundless Hate" - Warpack to the Warhammer 40'000 Conquest Card Game
- 8: Planetstrike, pg. 45
- 9: The Last Hunt (Novel) by Robbie MacNiven, Chapter 4
- 10: Codex: Drukhari (9th Edition), pg. 36
- 11: Codex: Drukhari (8th Edition), pg. 50
- 12: Path of the Incubus (Novel)
- 13: Path of the Archon (Novel)
|Dark Eldar Forces|
|Command||Archon • Haemonculus • Haemonculus Ancient • Succubus • Dracon • Sybarite|
|Elites||Grotesques • Incubi • Kabalite Trueborn • Mandrakes|
|Troops||Kabalite Warriors • Hekatarii • Wracks|
|Fast Attack||Beastmaster • Hellions • Reavers • Scourge|
|Heavy Support||Cronos Parasite Engine • Ravager • Razorwing Jetfighter • Talos Pain Engine • Voidraven Bomber • Reaper • Tantalus|
|Transports||Raider • Venom|
|Special Characters||Asdrubael Vect • Drazhar, Master of Blades • Kheradruakh, the Decapitator • Lelith Hesperax • Lady Malys • Baron Sathonyx • Urien Rakarth • Duke Sliscus|