Autocannons are usually either mounted on weapon carriages or vehicles because of their great weight.
Due to their high rate of fire and sufficient killing power, they are effective against large infantry formations and light armored vehicles. This makes them ideal for use against large Tyranid organisms and Orkish vehicles. They are also useful against heavy infantry such as Space Marines, although their power armour has been known to stop autocannon rounds.
Autocannons are used by the Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Witch Hunters, and Chaos Space Marines. Orks in particular enjoy using autocannons because of the prodigious noise and recoil produced by firing them.
- Agrippina Pattern - Used on the Salamander Scout Vehicle, ammunition for this smoothbore gun is fed automatically through a four-round feeding tray, the ammunition for which is dropped into the tray by hand. Includes recoil dampener and electronic sighting and rangefinding.
- Anvilus Snub Autocannon - Twin-linked pattern used on Sabre Tank Hunter vehicles.
- Kalibrax Pattern Autocannon - Used extensively during the Great Crusade by the Astartes.
- Syrtis Pattern - Used on the Predator Destructor
- Cthon Pattern - Used by Terminators during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy
- Ironhail Pattern - Used on Invictor Tactical Warsuits
- Reaper Autocannon - Twin-linked pattern used by Chaos Space Marines
- Hades Autocannon
- Accelerator Autocannon
- Icarus Autocannon
- Armiger Autocannon
- Mons-Pattern - A pattern of Autocannon manufactured by House Mons of Alecto and issued to the Imperial Guard.
Famous Autocannon users
Catachan Jungle Fighters with an autocannon.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 82
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear, pg. 34
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pg. 68
- 4: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 81
- 5: Nightbringer (Novel), Chapter Eleven, pg. 169
- 6: GW Website Havoc
- 7: Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks - Part One pg. 97
- 8: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition pg. 29
- 9: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition) pg. 82
- 10: Imperial Armour Volume One - Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy pg. 131
- 11: The Horus Heresy Book Three pg.119
- 12: Warhammer Community: Tanks for the Reinforcements (Posted on 29/11/2019) (Last accessed on 29 November 2019)
- 13: World Kalibrax Pattern Set
- 14: Games Workshop Invictor Tactical Warsuit (last accessed 3/10/2021)
- 15: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook pg. 55
- 16: The View from Olympus (Short Story), No Good Men (Anthology)
|Slug-Throwers||Stub gun • Hand Cannon • Stub Rifle • Heavy stubber • Shotgun • Ripper Gun|
|Auto-Weapons||Autopistol • Autogun • Autocannon • Assault cannon • Macro cannon|
|Ork||Grot Blasta • Slugga • Shoota • Big Shoota • Supa-Gatler • Gigashoota|
|Eldar||Shuriken Weaponry • Shrieker Cannon • Death Spinner • Shadow Weaver|
|Dark Eldar||Splinter Pistol • Splinter Rifle • Splinter Cannon|
|Tau Empire||Kroot Bolt Thrower • Kroot rifle • Kroot hunting rifle • Kroot gun • Rail Rifle • Railgun|
|Imperial Guard Weaponry|
|Melee Weapons||Chainsword • Combat Knife • Hunting Lance • Power Weapon|
|One-Handed Weapons||Bolt Pistol • Laspistol • Hellpistol/Hotshot Laspistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Two-Handed Weapons||Lasgun • Flamer • Grenade Launcher • Hellgun/Hotshot Lasgun • Lascarbine • Long-Las • Meltagun • Plasma Gun • Shotgun • Sniper Rifle|
|Heavy Weapons||Autocannon • Heavy Bolter • Heavy Flamer • Heavy Stubber • Lascannon • Hotshot Volley Gun • Missile Launcher • Mortar • Sun Gun • Ripper Gun • Grenadier Gauntlet|
|Grenades||Frag Grenade • Krak Grenade • Melta Bomb|