|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Chapter believes in the timely application of overwhelming firepower to defeat their foes and are masters of the careful ambush. During battles they deploy massed batteries of Thunderfire Cannons and Vindicators to annihilate their enemies in an instant; as overkill or half measures are not concepts which the Black Guard understand. As a result of this, they are known to leave vast cratered ruins in the wake of their many victories.
- 295.M41, the 3rd Company engaged the Tyranids from a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Kraken in the Battle of Doom Gorge. The swarms were confronted with Thunderfire Cannons, commanded by Master of the Forge Germanicus. Three successive waves were defeated. With the Tyranid attack broken, the batteries provided cover for the Chapter's counterattack, ultimately destroying the Tyranid forces. Black Guard casualties were minimal.
- 999.M31, the 13th Black Crusade. The Black Guard aided in the defense of Cadia.
- ???.M42, the Chromyd Front
The date for the Battle of Doom Gorge is nearly 700 years before Hive Fleet Kraken enters the galaxy.
- 1: Codex: Ultramarines (2nd Edition), pg. 9
- 2: Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition), pg. 47
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 8
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid on Kastorel-Novem pg. 104
- 5: Liber Apocalyptica: Forces of the Space Marines, pg. 40
- 6: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pg. 22
- 7: Corax (Anthology) — The Weregeld
- 8: Gathering Storm: Fall of Cadia, pg. 99
- 9: Codex: Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 53 — Successor Chapters
- 10: White Dwarf 460 pgs. 16-20
- 11: Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters, pg. 16