Bloodthirsters are the Greater Daemons of Khorne. These savage beasts exhibit extreme rage and bloodlust.
Bloodthirsters are the most savage and martial of the Blood God's servants. Their bloodlust extends beyond mortal comprehension and their power is said to be only matched by the Primarchs of old.
They manifest as towering, muscular behemoths with bestial, almost canine faces, bloodied manes and sharp horns and are clad in the Brass Armour of Khorne which protects them from magic spells and from ranged attacks. More noteworthy are their great leathery wings that allow them to dive into the midst of battle. In combat they use immense Axes that have been forged in the heat of Khorne's wrath and bear the essence of a caged Greater Daemon in conjunction with a long whip known as a Gorewhip that allows them to attack more distant foes. Some of the most favored Bloodthirsters of Khorne will also wield great Firestorm Blades.[12a]
The Eight Hosts
Only those well versed in daemonic lore are aware of the Bloodthirster hierarchy. They are organized into eight hosts, ascending in power, prestige, and favour. Each Bloodthirster commands its own legions of daemons and possesses its own lethal skills. Underestimating even those of the eighth and weakest host is a fatal error; they are still greater daemons and far more powerful than any mortal warriors.[13a]
- First Host: These Exalted Bloodthirsters are the mightiest of their kind. Only eight of these mighty Daemons exist, and amonst their ranks are An'ggrath, Ka'Bandha, and Skarbrand.
- Third Host: The Wrath of Khorne are hero-hunters who seek out the mightiest heroes of the enemy and maim them in the name of Khorne.[13a] They wield a Bloodflail and an Axe of Khorne.
- Sixth Host: Bloodthirsters of Insensate Rage are berserk destroyers who wield great axes as tall as castle's gate. Nothing can stand before them on the battlefield and daemons of Khorne are instinctively drawn on in their wake.[13a] They wield a Great Axe of Khorne.
- Eighth Host: Bloodthirsters of Unfettered Fury are skilled generals and command Khorne's daemonic legions in their attacks on real space. They are armed with the combination of an Axe of Khorne and a Lash of Khorne.[13a]
- An'ggrath — Lord of Bloodthirsters, Guardian of the Throne of Skulls
- An'kha'arak — butchered 50,000 Imperial servants at Toreus[8c]
- Arbra'Gax — massacred the Masque of the Silent Shroud[13b]
- Cruor Praetoria — twelve Bloodthirsters who acted as Angron's bodyguard during the First War for Armageddon.
- Gha’Kharax — turned Almarit into a Daemon World[13c]
- Ghalh'kra — Commands eight lesser Bloodthirsters
- Gore Lord — master of the vast Daemonic warband the Brazen Host.
- Hakk'an'graah — ally of Abaddon the Despoiler
- Hak'Vasha — member of the Quadrifold Abominatum
- Hk'ghaa'resh - Exalted Bloodthirster
- Infurnace — near-mythical in the sagas of the Space Wolves
- Ka'Bandha — bane of the Blood Angels
- Ka'jagga'nath — Lord of the Bloodtide[9a]
- Kar'Voth — killed in the warp by Kaldor Draigo.[9b]
- Kha Ak-Lash Kha-Aksha — bound in a daemon axe[12d]
- Khargenthul — ally of Chaos Lord Bane of the World Eaters
- Ragged Knight — ancient daemon born in M2
- Skarbrand — the Exiled One
- Slayer of Worlds
- Shazhn'oegtol — bound in a small dagger[12b]
- Vangash'hagash the Ever-Bloody — rules the Daemon World of Kathalon, continually battling the daemonic legions of Tzeentch.[8a]
- Vor'hakk — the Annihilator of Xarn, Bloodthirster of the Sixth Host
- 1: Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Liber Chaotica: Khorne, [Needs Citation]
- 4: Codex: Chaos Daemons (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 5: Imperial Armour - Apocalypse, [Needs Citation]
- 6: Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, pgs. 350–351
- 7: White Dwarf 368 (UK), pgs. 25–27
- 8: Codex: Chaos Daemons (4th Edition)
- 9: Codex: Grey Knights (5th Edition)
- 10: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
- 11: The Emperor's Gift (Novel) Chapter 16, pg. 201
- 12: Black Crusade: The Tome of Blood
- 13: Codex: Khorne Daemonkin (7th Edition)
- 14: The Talon of Horus (Novel), Chapter IV
- 15: Infurnace (Short Story)
- 16: Black Legion - A Codex: Chaos Space Marines Supplement, A Legacy of Vengeance
- 17: Codex: Tyranids (6th Edition), The Fall of Shadowbrink
- 18: White Dwarf 392 (UK), pgs. 64–65
- 19: War Zone Fenris: Curse of the Wulfen, The Svellgard Incursion
- 20: Dark Millennium (game system), Damnation's Gate — Z'Satrop
- 21: Warhammer Community
- 22: Psychic Awakening: Engine War pg.95
- 23: Games Workshop Bloodthirster (last accessed 10/26/2020)
- 24: Codex: Chaos Daemons (8th Edition) pg.86-88