The Brotherhood of the Knife
The Brotherhood of the Knife was a Chaos cult in service to the Word Bearers Traitor Legion during the Battle of Calth, at the time of the Horus Heresy[1a]. Their name in Colchisian was Ushmetar Kaul, literally translated into Low Gothic as "sharp edge by which false reality may be slit and pulled away to reveal god".Chaos forces at Calth.
The cultists wore long robes, as if in parody of ancient monastic orders. They conducted several massed attacks on the Ultramarines defending strategic positions after the Word Bearers' initial attack, including the 21st Company guarding the railway approach to Numinus City[1a]. Although they were not well-disciplined, their numbers and suicidal tactics caused several grave casualties among the Ultramarines, weakening them in advance of the assault by Chaos Space Marines[1a][1b][1c][1c][1d]. They became infamous for their atrocities committed against Ultramar civilians.
- 1: Garro: Oath of Moment (Audio Book) by James Swallow
- 2: Know No Fear (Novel) by Dan Abnett, Target//Acquisition: Chapter 6, pg. 77
- 3: Horus Heresy (Artbook Series) pg.162
- 4: The Horus Heresy Book Five pg.142
- 5: Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury pg.8-9