As the highest authority within the Custodes, the Captain-General determines who may have access to the Emperor's body upon the Golden Throne and is the chief of security within the Imperial Palace. These two roles make the Captain-General of the Custodes an influential figure and often he is a member of the High Lords of Terra.[Needs Citation]
There have been seventeen Captain-Generals of the Adeptus Custodes since the Great Crusade. Most have died in battle, either on Terra or leading crucial campaigns elsewhere. Several have become Eyes of the Emperor. However three - including Constantin Valdor himself, have simply vanished.
- Constantin Valdor — First Captain-General of the Custodian Guard. Served during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- Beyreuth — Captain-General during the War of the Beast.
- Excelsor — Captain-General during the Age of Apostasy.
- Aesoth Koumadra
- Tybanus Lencilius — M40/M41.
- Galahoth — M41.
- Andros Launceddre — M41.
- Trajann Valoris — Captain-General during the Thirteenth Black Crusade.
- 1: Codex Imperialis (Background Book), pg. 10
- 2: Blood Games (Short Story)
- 3: Codex: Adeptus Custodes (8th Edition), pg. 36
- 4: Two Metaphysical Blades (Short Story)
|Members of the High Lords of Terra|
|Permanent Members||Master of the Administratum • Ecclesiarch • Inquisitorial Representative • Fabricator-General • Grand Provost Marshal • Paternoval Envoy • Master of the Astronomican • Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica • Grand Master of Assassins • Lord Commander of the Imperium|
|Rotating Members||Lord Commander of Segmentum Solar • Lord Commander Militant • Cardinals of the Holy Synod • Abess • Chancellor of the Estate Imperium • Speaker for the Chartist Captains • Lord High Admiral • Captain-General|
|Lesser Members||Chirurgeon-General • Chancellor of the Imperial Council • Commandant of the Schola Progenium • Lord Constable of the Synopticon • Mistress Plenary of the Catacombs|
|Former Members||High Lord of the Imperial Chancellery|