The Captain-General is the rank given to the commander of the Adeptus Custodes, the elite personal bodyguards of the Emperor who dwell within the Imperial Palace on Terra. As the highest authority within the Custodes, the Captain-General determines who may have access to the Emperor's body upon the Golden Throne and is the chief of security within the Imperial Palace. These two roles make the Captain-General of the Custodes an influential figure and often he is a member of the High Lords of Terra.[Needs Citation]
There have been seventeen Captain-Generals of the Adeptus Custodes since the Great Crusade. Most have died in battle, either on Terra or leading crucial campaigns elsewhere. Several have become Eyes of the Emperor. However three - including Constantin Valdor himself, have simply vanished.
- Constantin Valdor: Captain-General of the Adeptus Custodes during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- Beyreuth: Captain-General during the War of the Beast
- Excelsor: Captain-General during the Age of Apostasy
- Aesoth Koumadra
- Tybanus Lencilius — M40 — M41
- Galahoth — M41
- Andros Launceddre — M41
- Trajann Valoris: Captain-General during the Thirteenth Black Crusade
- 1: Codex Imperialis, pg. 10
- 2: Blood Games (Short Story), by Dan Abnett
- 3: Codex: Adeptus Custodes (8th Edition) pg.36