The Chainaxe is a type of Chain Weapon. It takes the form of an axe with motorized monomolecular chainsaw teeth and is able to tear through both flesh and armour with relative ease. While a chainsword may be wielded with apparent finesse, the chainaxe is a more simple and savage affair. The added leverage of the long haft allows its wide chain edge, makes for a heavier strike with each blow, but with less control or precision. Like a regular axe, these can have one edge or be two-sided. Each open edge contains its own chain loop, meaning that the double-sided version can still operate if one side is fouled. The weapon is often favoured by those who favour offence over defence or appreciate the hideous damage and terror these axes evoke. These axes come in both one and two-handed varients.
Before the Horus Heresy, the Chainaxe was commonly issued to Legiones Astartes assault squads during the Great Crusade. Since then, the use of the weapon has diminished amongst the Astartes and Astra Militarum, though some assault oriented Space Marine chapters such as the Flesh Tearers, Carcharodons and Space Wolves, as well as more bloody-minded members of the Imperium have been known to still utilize them.
More common amongst renegades and traitors, it is now the favored weapon of the Khorne Berzerkers.The Chainaxe has long been closely associated with the World Eaters Legion. In the last ten thousand years however, as Khornate Berzerkers arise in other Legions, the weapon has become more widely used among Chaos forces as a whole.
A Khornate Chainaxe is a heavier and more powerful version used by Khornate Berzerkers, effective at penetrating heavy armour.
Castir-Pattern Chain Greataxe
The Castir Pattern Chain Greataxe is a massive chainaxe used by fanatical followers of Khorne. It most distinguishing feature is a double-sided head housing two independently mounted chain assemblies, designed to be swung in wide swaths. The weapon is of size and weight that few can withstand a strike, though only the strongest and most fanatacial can wield it.
Notable Chain Axes
- Gorechild - Weapon of Kharn, originally wielded by Angron
- Gorefather - Twin of Gorechild, wielded by Angron
- Widowmaker - Wielded by Angron
- The Ashen Axe - Word Bearers artifact
- The Deathwolf's Axe - Space Wolves artifact
- "Puritan's Wrath" Chainaxe - Astra Militarum Relic
Ork Big Choppa
- 1: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 2: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Index Astartes I, pg. 49
- 4: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook, pg. 203
- 5: Black Crusade: The Tome of Blood pg.37
- 6: Codex: Khorne Daemonkin (7th Edition), Tools of Butchery
- 7: Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury pg.63
- 8: Angron: Slave of Nuceria (Novel) Chapter 8
- 9: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Deathwolf's Axe, Card Description
- 10: Necromunda: House of Faith, pgs. 118-119
- 11: Dark Heresy Second Edition, pg.158
- 12: Dark Heresy Rulebook, pg.140
- 13: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two, pg.111
- 14: Only War: Hammer of the Emperor, pg.116
- 15: Only War: Shield of Humanity, pg.128