|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Charnel Guard are a Fleet Based Space Marine Chapter[2a] that are believed to be of Blood Angels descent.[3c]
The Chapter is believed to have been created in the Third Founding, due to the large number of ancient war relics, weapons and vehicles in their arsenal which are rarely seen in the 41st Millennium; in the Chapter's possession are at least three Fellblade super-heavy tanks[3b] and a formidable fleet of Fire Raptor gunships. Having been founded by Dominion Zephon, they are also of Blood Angels descent, but they are not acknowledged as such by their Founding Chapter.[3c] Despite this, they were among the Chapters of the Blood that defended the Blood Angels' homeworld of Baal when it was attacked by the tyranids of Hive Fleet Leviathan.[4a]
In 587.M41 the Charnel Guard were selected to become part of the newly created Maelstrom Warders. However, in 651.M41 the Chapter was suddenly redeployed by the High Lords of Terra to take part in the Thanatos Crusade into the Veiled Region.[2a]
- 860.M33: The War of the False Primarch — The Chapter convened as part of the Pentarchy of Blood to enact the judgement of the High Lords of Terra, systematically destroying eleven chapters of the Adeptus Astartes judged Traitoris Perdita.[3a]
- 770-791.M38: The Great Malagantine Purge — As part of the Manus Irae, the Charnel Guard carried out the Great Malagantine Purge in which hundreds of billions of people were slaughtered.[2b]
- M38: Messallas Purgation Campaign[3b]
- 322-384.M39: Angevin Crusade
- 640.M41: Scourge campaign[2a]
- 651.M41: Thanatos Crusade[2a]
- 999.M41: Devastation of Baal — The Charnel Guard were among the Blood Angels successor chapters that aided them against Hive Fleet Leviathan in the Devastation of Baal.[4a]
- Date Unknown: The Chapter took part in the attack of the strato-keeps around Keziah's Moon (Bittershard System), where each of the Chapter's Storm Eagles attack waves was accompanied by a Fire Raptor gunship. This deployment was the largest observed in at least the last three millennia.[3c]
The Charnel Guard has a reputation for being reclusive. They are known to seal themselves away in vast stasis crypts when not on a campaign.[3c]
The Chapter's Gene-seed gives each member pronounced canine eye teeth.[4b]
Known Named Vehicles
- Invictrix — Battle Barge.
- Mori Drakka — Fellblade. Took part in the Messallas Purgation Campaign.[3b]
- Zephon - First Chapter Master.
- Paracelius — First Captain.
- 1: Dark Heresy Timeline (saved archive page, dated March 2013, last accessed 2 September 2016)
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One:
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition:
- 4: The Devastation of Baal (Novel):
- 5: Echoes of Eternity (Novel) - Afterward