|This article is about the rulebook; for the short story by Graham McNeill, see Codex (Short Story).|
Codex (plural "codices", but "codexes" is also occasionally used) is the name of a source book for Warhammer 40,000 armies and factions containing background information, pictures, and rules.
Since its creation in the 1980s, Warhammer 40,000 has had eight distinct versions or editions. With each edition, the Codex of each army has changed to reflect the new rules and units.
Usually one codex is valid until a revision is made, so all codexes from the 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd Editions of Warhammer 40,000 are still valid in the current, 9th Edition, unless a later version has replaced it. There have been instances of codices that are not "standalone". They were known as "mini-dexes". These were usually army lists that were variants of a mainstream army. An example would be the early 3rd Edition Codex: Catachans, which required the main Codex: Imperial Guard to use. Mini-dexes are more or less extinct nowadays.
Full List of Codices
Current List of Codices and Expansions
This is the list of codices which can be used to play today.
Current Army Codices
9th Edition Indexes
9th Edition Codices
- Codex: Space Marines (9th Edition)
- Codex: Necrons (9th Edition)
- Codex: Blood Angels (9th Edition)
- Codex: Space Wolves (9th Edition)
- Codex: Deathwatch (9th Edition)
- Codex: Death Guard (9th Edition)
- Codices (List) — For a list of all released Codices.
- 1: Games Workshop: Psychic Awakening Phoenix Rising (Last accessed 11/3/2019)
- 2: Warhammer Community: New Reveals, Chaos, Sororitas tanks, and more (posted November 3 2019) (Last accessed 11/3/2019)
- 3: Warhammer Community: The First Ever Warhammer Preview Online (posted 3/28/2020) (last accessed 3/28/2020)
- 4: Warhammer Community: Heroes, Heretics and a Squirrel (posted 4/4/2020) (last accessed 4/2/2020)
- 5: Warhammer Community: The Warhammer 40,000 Launch Party Preview (Posted on 25/07/2020) (Last accessed on 25 July 2020)
- 6: Warhammer Community: The Codex Show (posted 9/12/2020) (last accessed 9/12/2020)