The Dark Cells, or Black Cells, are oubliettes deep beneath the Imperial Palace on Terra containing entities and artefacts of Old Night that could annihilate the Imperium if they were ever to break free. The newly emerged threats of the galaxy that must be imprisoned therein are also added to the Dark Cells. Guarded by a Shield Host of Adeptus Custodes known as the Shadowkeepers, their security includes rune locks, wards, and sanctic circles throughout corridors patrolled by a hundred Custodians at all times. Although neither light nor sound can escape the cells, the air of dread puts even Custodians on edge. Not all of the prisoners are truly alive, but all have anima.[3a]
Known Prisoners and Relics
- Slithering Dreamer — Escaped from its cell and was later killed by the Shadowkeeper Jaeharl Feldorus Ghau on Tarnus IV.
- Vexen Cage — a psychic amplifier capable of subduing and mentally enslaving thousands[3b]
- Technology which allowed the Imperial Fists to restore the Phalanx.
- 1: Codex: Adeptus Custodes (8th Edition), p.23
- 2: Adeptus Custodes Preview 6: Warlord Traits and Relics
- 3: Auric Gods (Novella)
- 4: Codex Supplement: Imperial Fists (8th Edition) pg.9