|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Dark Hunters were founded in the dark days of the Occlusiad.[3c] Their first Chapter Master was Angnar, formerly a Captain of the White Scars. The first campaign of the Dark Hunters saw them fighting against the Daemon Engines and corrupted Warlord Titan Repellus Maximal of Warpsmith Hilghar during the Battle of Bloodsteel. This has left a deep rooted mistrust against machines within their psyche. Even today, they have strained relations with the Adeptus Mechanicus.[3a]
The Dark Hunters have a reputation for being grim and resolute warriors with have a deep distrust of machines. They are one of the 7 Space Marine chapters currently charged with hunting down the Chaos Space Marine warband known as the Punishers.[3d]
- 089.M38: Zarona Intervention
- 936.M38: The Phobian War. The Dark Hunters defend their homeworld of Phobian from the Blind King and his Titan warband. During the fighting Chapter Master Jullunai Khan and much of the Chapter lead a charge against a Warlord Titan. Though the Dark Hunters were victorious, over 400 Battle-Brothers are lost.
- ???.M41: Dellrond Campaign - where a single company of Dark Hunters held the entrance of the Cathedral of the Emperor Ossified for five years against Waaagh! Nagrut - they earned a resolute and stubborn reputation.[3b]
- 825.M41: The First Punisher War: The Dark Hunters engage the Punishers Chaos Space Marine warband in the Kargad System. Fielding millions of Cultists and Battleship support, the Dark Hunters are forced to fall back and make their final stand at their Fortress-Monastery of Mors Angnar. Reduced to just 200 Battle-Brothers and being overrun, the Dark Hunters were saved by several other Chapters including the Brazen Fists, Dark Sons, Doomsayers, and Shadowhawks.[8b]
- 939.M41: The Battle of the Black Star - The Dark Hunters were one of the seven chapters charged with elimination of the Punishers, a faction of Chaos Renegades. They succeeded in eliminating half the Punishers.[3d]
- 982.M41: The Second Punisher War. The Dark Hunters 3rd Company under Captain Jonah Keme battle the Punishers once more, this time on the world of Ras Hanem alongside allied Imperial Guard. Thanks to a temporary alliance with the Eldar, the Dark Hunters are victorious.[8c]
- 996.M41: Lonal Ambush - The Dark Hunters were used as Tyranid bait by the Raven Guard.[3c]
- 999.M41: Imperial fleets on the edge of the Draven Sector become lost in the Warp, after an unusual phenomenon caused their Navigators to lose sight of the Astronomican. Investigations uncovered the source of the interference on the tomb world of Petk. Dark Hunters Space Marines launched an assault on the planet, but only minutes after landing all contact with them was lost.
- ???.M41: The Rusthunt - defeating Orks of Tank Boss Badfragg
The Dark Hunters are largely Codex Compliant, but maintain unique titles for their various Companies.
- Ardunai - 1st Company[8e]
- Mortai - 3rd Company[8e]
- Haround - 4th Company
- Makran - 7th Company
- Ansar - 8th Company
- Haradai - 10th Company
- Ogadai' - Gothic Cruiser. The only operational capital ship of the Chapter, though it is extremely old and is said that Jaghatai Khan himself once traveled aboard it.[8b]
- Umbra Mortis - Battle Barge. Currently scuttled in orbit above Phobian as a defense platform.[8b]
- Temujin - Frigate[8d]
Notable Dark Hunters
- Angnar - former Captain of the White Scars and first Chapter Master of the Dark Hunters in the mid M37.
- Lukullus Nogai - Second Chapter Master[8d]
- Jullunai Khan - Chapter Master in the mid M37. Defended Phobian from the forces of the Blind King.
- Kharne Al Murzim - Current Chapter Master (Kharne)[8e]
- Graes Vennan - Chief Librarian[8e]
- Elijah Kass - Codicier.[8e]
- Breughal Paine - Master of the Forge and Dreadnought. Last survivor of the Second Founding of the Chapter.[8e]
- Biron Amadi - Master of Sanctity at the time of the First Punisher War.[8e]
- Jord Malchai - Chief Reclusiarch.[8e]
- Gan Arix - Master of the Fleet.[8e]
- Ares Thurman - Captain of the 1st Company.[8e]
- Jonah Kerne - Captain of the 3rd Company. Led forces against the Punishers in the Second Punishing War. Currently detained by the Inquisition due to his alliance with Eldar during the battle.[8c]
- Hyron - Chaplain in the Dark Hunters Fourth Company, who earned a bloody reputation over the course of the Dellrond Campaign.
- Fornix - Sergeant of the Mortai Company.[8e]
- Kjarl - Battle-brother, 6th Tactical Squad, 4th Company.[3e]
- Pieter (deceased) - Battle-brother. Left behind after battling the Punishers on Perreken, he managed to send a distress signal to the battle fleet before his death.
Dark Hunters Marine
- 1: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pgs. 26 and 30
- 2: The Last Detail (Short Story) - Legends of the Space Marines (Anthology)
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition) (E-Book Edition)
- 4: How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 88
- 5: Codex: Necrons (7th Edition) - A New Epoch Begins
- 6: Dataslate: Reclusiam Command Squad (Background Book) - Notable Reclusiam Command Squad
- 7: The Blind King (Short Story)
- 8: Dark Hunters: Umbra Sumus (Novel)