The origins of the Destroyer Squad lie in the Unification Wars of Terra. During the terrible conflict, the enemies of the Emperor utilized forbidden or proscribed weaponry from the Age of Strife which many Legions considered dishonorable. Alongside certain factions of the Mechanicum, only Destroyer Squads have license to use such forbidden devices such as Radiation Weapons, bio-alchem munitions, and Phosphex. Normally, Destroyer Squads were shunned and deemed tainted by their Battle-Brothers, while still viewed by Imperial commanders as a necessary evil.
Led by a Space Marine Sergeant, Destroyer Squads were most typically equipped with Missile Launchers armed with Rad Missiles or Volkite Serpenta as well as Toxiferran Flamers. They also commonly carried twin Bolt Pistols, Chainswords, Phosphex Bombs, Rad Grenades, and Melta bombs. To better rain death upon their foes, they were sometimes equipped with Jump Packs.
- Destroyer Assault Squad - Equipped with Jump Packs to rain death upon their foes.
- Mortalis Destroyer Squad - Unleashed in situations where no quarter was to be given to the enemy as well as close-confines battlezones. Especially favored by the Death Guard and Ultramarines.
- Dreadwing — Dark Angels
- Interemptor - Dark Angels
- Karaoghlanlar — White Scars
- Black Cull — Space Wolves
- Angel's Tears — Blood Angels
- High Host - Blood Angels
- Red Hand — World Eaters
- Nemesis Destroyers — Ultramarines (22nd Chapter).
- Mortus Poisoners — Death Guard
- Pyroclast - Salamanders
Destroyer Assault Squad
- 1: The Horus Heresy Book One - Betrayal, pg. 195
- 2: Forge World: Legion MKIV Destroyer Squad
- 3: Forge World: Legion MKIV Destroyer Squad with Jump Packs
- 4: The Horus Heresy Book Eight - Malevolence, pg. 151
- 5: Saturnine (Novel), Part 3 Chapter 3
- 6: Warhammer Community: Plug in your Butchers’ Nails and Destroy the Loyalists in this Horus Heresy Exemplary Battle (Posted on 07/12/2021) (Last accessed on 7 December 2021)
- 7: Warhammer Community: Horus Heresy Exemplary Battles – A New Mission and Free Rules for Dark Angels and Death Guard Squads (Posted on 17/01/2022) - The Battle of Perditus: Umbral-51 PDF - pg. 4 (Last accessed on 17 January 2022)
- 8: Warhammer Community: Fight the Underground War with New Horus Heresy Missions and an Ultramarines Unit (Posted on 11/02/2022) - The Battle of Calth: Underworld War PDF, pgs. 5-7 (last accessed 14th February 2022)
- 9: Warhammer Community: Black Library Celebration 2022 – Meet Dominion Zephon, the Bringer of Sorrow (Posted on 16/02/2022) - Dominion Zephon PDF, pgs. 1-2 (Last accessed on 16 February 2022)
- 10: Liber Hereticus, pg. 37