|Bolt Weapons:||Bolt pistols - Boltguns - Storm bolters - Heavy Bolters - Psycannons - Hurricane Bolters - Vulcan Mega-bolters - Other bolt weapons|
The Heavy Bolter (also known as Back Breaker) is an enormous version of the Boltgun. Of much larger size and weight, the heavy bolter fires powerful armor-piercing fist-sized bolts at the enemy with a staggering rate of fire.
The heavy bolter is generally used for anti-infantry or fire support roles, also known as the "Back Breaker" or the "Bruiser" by the crew who have to carry it because of its great weight - but also because of the heavy punishment it can deal out to the enemy. It fires a round considerably larger than that of the standard bolter shell, with more propellant and longer range and higher stopping power, making it capable of destroying light vehicles. Because of its high rate of fire, jamming is often a problem. Like all bolt weapons, heavy bolters require regular maintenance and ancient litanies to appease their spirits. It is seldom seen outside military organizations.
The most modern version of the heavy bolter in wide spread use is the Astartes Mk Ivc. The weapon goes through rounds very quickly using either a disintegrating belt or 40-round high capacity box magazine.
- 1 Imperial Bolter designs
- 1.1 Accatran Pattern
- 1.2 Astartes MK IVa
- 1.3 Executor Heavy Bolter
- 1.4 Jove Mk III
- 1.5 Godwyn Pattern
- 1.6 Hellstorm Heavy Bolter
- 1.7 Infernus Heavy Bolter
- 1.8 Maxima
- 1.9 Orlock
- 1.10 Requiem Pattern
- 1.11 Solar-Pattern
- 1.12 Sol Militaris Pattern
- 1.13 Voss-Incarnadine Pattern
- 1.14 Massada Pattern 'Firefury'
- 1.15 Assault Bolter
- 1.16 More heavy bolter designs
- 2 Ammunition
- 3 Sources
Imperial Bolter designs
The Accatran pattern MkVd heavy bolter is used by the 99th Elysian Drop Troops Regiment. It features an integral bipod for sustained firing and a sight inside of the carrying handle. The ammunition used by this weapon is anti-vehicle: self-propelled, mass-reactive, high-explosive, and armour-piercing.
Astartes MK IVa
Executor Heavy Bolter
Jove Mk III
This shoulder-braced pattern is in use with the Adepta Sororitas.
Hellstorm Heavy Bolter
Infernus Heavy Bolter
The Infernus Heavy Bolter is a pattern of heavy bolter used by the Deathwatch. These weapons are mag-clamped with rare suspensor discs that reduce the weapon's weight considerably. It is also equipped with a Heavy Flamer.
The MK IV Requiem Pattern Heavy Bolter generally sees more use in the hands of the Dark Angel chapter, their dedication to scripture and lore far surpassing most other chapters. The special incense burned in the censor has gained the nickname “Uzziel’s breath”, and is said to be calming and to sharpen focus. 
Sol Militaris Pattern
Massada Pattern 'Firefury'
The Assault Bolter is a miniaturized version of the Heavy Bolter used by Primaris Space Marines.
More heavy bolter designs
Due to the fact that in most cases specific heavy bolter images are not labelled, unnamed designs are collected here, grouped by outward similarity.
|Heavy Bolter Ammunition|
|Standard Bolts||Standard bolts use the same outer casing, propellant base, main charge, mass reactive detonator cap, depleted deuterium core, and diamantine tip as Boltgun rounds, but with a larger calibre.|
|Hellfire Rounds||Replaces the core and tip of the standard bolt round with a vial of mutagenic acid, and thousands of needles that fire into the target's flesh on impact, pumping the acid into the target. Developed specially to combat Tyranids, Hellfire Rounds have equally devastating results on other organic targets.|
|Shrapnel Bolts||Bolts designed to form a blast of shrapnel. Used by the Iron Warriors during the Great Crusade.|
|Assassin Bolts||Hypersonic rounds used by the Minotaurs that replace the standard propellant with short-burn magna-fusion charges and the mass-reactive warhead (which would not endure the fusion discharge) with solid slugs. Due to their extreme speed and density, they are both highly destructive and extremely accurate.|
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (2nd Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks - Part One, [Needs Citation]
- 5: Rogue Trader Rulebook, pg. 122
- 6: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 98
- 7: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pg. 68
- 8: Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, pg. 134
- 9: Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project, pg. 137
- 10: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two, pg. 65
- 11: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook pg. 54
- 12: The Horus Heresy Book Two - Massacre
- 13: Forge World (last accessed 14 June 2015)
- 14: Eternal crusade Rogue Trader Store - Space Marines
- 15: White Dwarf 72 (2015), Space Marines - Devastator Squad
- 16: Codex: Deathwatch (7th Edition) — Armoury of the Deathwatch
- 17: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 32
- 18: The Horus Heresy Book Three - Extermination, pg. 251
- 19: Imperial Armour Volume Twelve - The Fall of Orpheus, pg. 149
- 20: Warhammer Community: The Codex Show (posted 9/12/2020) (last accessed 9/12/2020)
- 21: Necromunda: House of Iron, pg. 114
- 22: Kill Team: Pariah Nexus Rulebook, pg. 56
|Imperial Guard Weaponry|
|Melee Weapons||Chainsword • Combat Knife • Hunting Lance • Power Weapon|
|One-Handed Weapons||Bolt Pistol • Laspistol • Hellpistol/Hotshot Laspistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Two-Handed Weapons||Lasgun • Flamer • Grenade Launcher • Hellgun/Hotshot Lasgun • Lascarbine • Long-Las • Meltagun • Plasma Gun • Shotgun • Sniper Rifle|
|Heavy Weapons||Autocannon • Heavy Bolter • Heavy Flamer • Heavy Stubber • Lascannon • Hotshot Volley Gun • Missile Launcher • Mortar • Sun Gun • Ripper Gun • Grenadier Gauntlet|
|Grenades||Frag Grenade • Krak Grenade • Melta Bomb|
|Adepta Sororitas Weapons|
|Melee Weapons||Chainsword • Eviscerator • Power Sword • Hallowed Mace • Mace of the Righteous • Anointed Halberd • Power Blades • Neural Whip • Arco-Flail • Blessed Weapon • Dialogus Staff • Chirurgeon's Tools • Staff of Belief • Null Rod • Rod of Office • Sarissa • Paragon War Blade • Paragon War Mace|
|One-Handed Projectile Weapons||Bolt Pistol • Plasma Pistol • Hand Flamer • Inferno Pistol • Condemnor Boltgun|
|Two-Handed Projectile Weapons||Bolter • Flamer • Meltagun • Storm Bolter • Combi-Weapon|
|Heavy Weapons||Heavy Bolter • Heavy Flamer • Multi-Melta|
|Grenades||Frag Grenade • Krak Grenade • Melta-Bomb|