From Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum
(Redirected from FTL)
Faster-Than-Light or (FTL) travel is the primary method of long-distance transportation in the Galaxy. The technology allows for passengers to travel faster than the speed of light in order to traverse the immense distances of interstellar space in a reasonable amount of time.
Known Methods of FTL Travel
- Warp Drives - Used by Humans in conjunction with Navigators and the Astronomican. The Kin of the Leagues of Votann also use Warp Drives, but with Wayfinders for navigation.
- Warp engines - A dangerous and unreliable technology similar to Human Warp Drives, used by Orks.
- Webway - Used by the Eldar and Dark Eldar. Also used by the Necrons via Dolmen Gates.
- Gravitic Drives and Gravitic Hooks - Used by the Tau. Similar to a Warp Drive
- AL-38 Slipstream Module - Enters the Warp utilizing anti-matter.
- Inertialess Drive - Used by the Necrons
- Pharos - Small-scale FTL and instant communication device built by the early Necrons.
- Narvhal - Used by the Tyranids
- 1: Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition Rulebook - Voyages through the Immaterium.
- 2: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, pgs. 75-78
- 3: Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition), pg. 19
- 4: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Book), pg. 96
- 5: Codex: Tau Empire (8th Edition) pg.22
- 6: Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work (Novel) - Chapter 9
- 7: Codex: Leagues of Votann, pg. 13